Limited budget, under $5k...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjten10

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while and need some advice for my first post. Back in 1991-1992 I got my first truck, 1988 Chevy Sportside. I had to sell it several years later even though I really liked the truck. Well spring ahead decades and I saw my first truck and ended up buying it to redo for my son so it's his first truck.
The frame is in decent shape with minor work needed. I'm replacing shocks, leaf springs, steering components, a-arms ect.
Body needs rocker panels. Over the next year and a half I should be able to do all of the above with some help on the rocker panels and keep costs low.
My dilemma is the engine and transmission. They are 31 yrs old. Should I pull and rebuild or look to buy new/used and swap? It's a 350 tbi and 700r4. I need to go the cheapest route just to keep costs down. Been looking at swap options but was told rebuild would be cheapest. I have never tackled a job this big FYI.

Thanks for the ideas. I love this forum.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think rebuild would be cheapest. I would rebuild, make it a father son project so he can say he helped rebuild his own truck..

Just my thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dilemma is the engine and transmission. They are 31 yrs old. Should I pull and rebuild or look to buy new/used and swap? It's a 350 tbi and 700r4. I need to go the cheapest route just to keep costs down.
Leave them the hell alone until they cause problems. Rebuild or replace AFTER they've failed.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like a really neat project and an opportunity for some good quality time.

Have a picture of the truck?

Personally, I’d fix the essentials and bank the rest of the money for all the miscellaneous “stuff” that is bound to pop up. As a ballpark, however, a GM crate engine would probably run around $5k installed by a shop. Maybe $3k for all the materials if you did it yourself.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, if the engine/trans works..... I'd just keep it as is.
Save that cash for the inevitable repairs that will come up..... Or bodywork when he crashes it. 1st vehicle and all, bound to crash, right ? Lol.

sjten10

Reaction score
The paint job was so unique that there was no mistaking it. The engine and tranny seemed ok but either the flex plate or starter is shot because getting it started is a pain in the ass. Gaskets like oil pan ect leak so have to focus on all of that once we get there. Started on the rear end first by pulling the bed so shocks, brake lines, frame painting, ect can all be done easier.