Lights on with Unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
On newer trucks (Fords and Chevy's mainly) I see when their door is open, or it is unlocked by remote the parking lights and the dome/cargo light come on. I like that feature, and was wondering if that was possible for my truck. Would tapping the park light wire into the dome light wire make it happen? I just wanted to make sure it was that simple, and it wouldn't cause any conflict.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Good question. The problem might be that the dome light runs through the headlight switch too, doesn't it? I don't know if that would cause issues.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my `96 tahoe sport with factory keyless turns the interior lights on when I unlock with the fob.

If you simply spliced the dome lights to the parking lights, your dome lights would come on whenever your headlights are on, lol.

If you put a relay in that powered the parking lights when the dome lights are on as the trigger, that would work, but then again whenever your dome lights are on the parking lights will be too.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
you could wire the parking lights to the dome light, but only when the truck is off

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dome light is a switched ground circuit to, don't forget that....

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Ok good subject here. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out and as of yet I've got nothing. So if you wire to the dome you PL come on any time your dome is on. I like the (only when the truck is off idea. That could work but then again when I'm out in the coutry with my lady I dont want my PL to come on when I turn the dome on to find her bra so that wont work.

I wanted to bypass the dome light and go straight to the source. The keyless entry box(s) but here lies the new problem when you lock/unlock it sends power to the dome and door lock actuators. I thought that would work perfect but the door lock switch on the door sends power right back to the box(s). So that is most of what I have learned. Any more questions feel free to pick my brain.
There maybe something I haven't thought of that I tried.

I Would love to find a good answer to this problem. I want it I need it :D

CrewCab Steve

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok good subject here. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out and as of yet I've got nothing. So if you wire to the dome you PL come on any time your dome is on. I like the (only when the truck is off idea. That could work but then again when I'm out in the coutry with my lady I dont want my PL to come on when I turn the dome on to find her bra so that wont work.

I wanted to bypass the dome light and go straight to the source. The keyless entry box(s) but here lies the new problem when you lock/unlock it sends power to the dome and door lock actuators. I thought that would work perfect but the door lock switch on the door sends power right back to the box(s). So that is most of what I have learned. Any more questions feel free to pick my brain.
There maybe something I haven't thought of that I tried.

I Would love to find a good answer to this problem. I want it I need it :D

CrewCab Steve

the easiest way is with an aftermarket alarm, you would just use 2 relays one for each thing you want to power for a time period after the disarm.

I know the alarm I put on my `97 mustang works that way, it triggers the dome light and the parking lights with lock or unlock from the fob, the unlock makes them stay on for a time period you can program, I think mine are set for ~30 seconds. I installed a viper responder 350 2-way system on that car because it didn't have provisions for factory keyless :(

Last edited:

Zak McClellan

Reaction score
I’m gonna revive this thread by also mentioning that the s10/sonoma had the PL turn on for like a second when unlocked by keyless. This was completely factory and the trucks had an alarm on them.