Lifted suspension and sway bar question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 99 two door Tahoe with a 6 inch RCD suspension lift. I was going to install a thicker front sway bar to help with oversteer issues. The links on this kit are longer to accommodate the suspension lift. These links were a pain to put in and I don't think I'm going to be able to disconnect the swaybar without cutting the links. My question is are there aftermarket links that accommodates suspension lifts or is it possible to use standard height links but flip the position of the swaybar? I really don't want to have to get replacement links from the lift kit manufacturer. Thank you in advance for feedback on what would be the best route.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the rough country kits you flip the sway bar over an use stock end links. I don't see why you couldn't do that on yours unless your drop brackets drop everything lower than the rcx does.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the rough country kits you flip the sway bar over an use stock end links. I don't see why you couldn't do that on yours unless your drop brackets drop everything lower than the rcx does.

even though im not 4x my fabtech kit came with longer end bushing links and still had to flip the swaybar for it to work but if you have oversteer I seriously doubt its the swaybar..
atleast that wasn't my problem with my crazy steering lol

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I am going to try flipping my new sway bar. If it doesn't work at least it's still drivable until I get some longer links.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well flipping the bar worked. My Tahoe is much less squirrelly the handling is firmed up and the truck tracks better done the road especially on the highway. I wish I would have put this larger front sway bar in sooner. It was a huge pain to install though.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an older thread but I have a related question; I was surprised how many sway bar disconnect kits are available for Jeep but nothing for GMT400.
1) Is there enough benefit to justify installing a sway bar disconnect kit?
2) Who makes them?
3) If not available but it's worth it I'm willing to fab something up. Any recommendations on design?

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is an older thread but I have a related question; I was surprised how many sway bar disconnect kits are available for Jeep but nothing for GMT400.
1) Is there enough benefit to justify installing a sway bar disconnect kit?
2) Who makes them?
3) If not available but it's worth it I'm willing to fab something up. Any recommendations on design?

I can only see this being worthwhile if you are trying to build a rock crawler.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even then it's still not worth the effort of a disconnect setup. The ifs still doesn't flex without a sway bar. I ran for a couple years without a sway bar hooked up with the 6" superlift. The difference was minimal, a little more body roll and little if any gain in flex or offroad performance.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Even then it's still not worth the effort of a disconnect setup. The ifs still doesn't flex without a sway bar. I ran for a couple years without a sway bar hooked up with the 6" superlift. The difference was minimal, a little more body roll and little if any gain in flex or offroad performance.

I second this i dont have mine conected on my stepside and it really makes no difference

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did another search and seems that some have modified jeep kits. Thanks for the personal experience. Maybe if I put a locker up front Id revisit the idea. My application would be steep hill climbs with rocky terrain.