Lifted leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diminus

Reaction score
Hi there, i have a 1998 GMC surburban. It's got a 6 inch rough country lift coulpled with a 2 inch body lift. I've been using it as a work beater.

Anyway i was changing the brakes the other day and noticed the add-a-leafs have actually nearly worn threw my main hanger leafs in the rear. The lift came with a big lift block plus add-a-leafs. I guess over the past few years the spacers that go in the spring pack clamps disappeared.... causeing accelerated wear.

Anyway I'd rather replace the rear with new built units.

What does most people use? Pro comp has 3-3.5" and 5-5.5" lifted leaf packs. But if i went with the 5" ones, i dont have factory axel blocks to put back. Also im not sure what size blocks il need to add with the 3-3.5" springs.

Has anyone had similar issues or did similar conversions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may already know this, but the suburbans have a different length leaf spring than the trucks. So make sure you are looking at 60" springs (measured along the spring eyelet to eyelet).

How many leaves do you have in your pack currently?

I actually went with a shackle flip from Off Road design. It adds about 4" to a stock truck with stock leaf springs.

I actually just removed some lift springs from my Suburban when I did the shackle flip. They are roughly 2" lift springs but had an additional 3 add a leaves in the already thick and stiff k2500 leaf springs (5 plus one overload leaf springs.)

Depending on your budget if you are buying new springs anyways. I would suggest looking into custom springs from off road design. They can get your height right so you don't need blocks.

Was trying to post some pics of my setup but I'm having issues finding the ones I want using Tapatalk.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Diminus

Reaction score
You may already know this, but the suburbans have a different length leaf spring than the trucks. So make sure you are looking at 60" springs (measured along the spring eyelet to eyelet).

How many leaves do you have in your pack currently?

I actually went with a shackle flip from Off Road design. It adds about 4" to a stock truck with stock leaf springs.

I actually just removed some lift springs from my Suburban when I did the shackle flip. They are roughly 2" lift springs but had an additional 3 add a leaves in the already thick and stiff k2500 leaf springs (5 plus one overload leaf springs.)

Depending on your budget if you are buying new springs anyways. I would suggest looking into custom springs from off road design. They can get your height right so you don't need blocks.

Was trying to post some pics of my setup but I'm having issues finding the ones I want using Tapatalk.

I currently have 6 leaves (5 plus the 1 fat overload on the bottom)

And i totally forgot about the different length springs vs the k1500 trucks! Thank you for pointing that out lol.

Yeah i can't seem to find much online for surburbans so i may have to go the custom route. Wife already told me to fix it before i ends up buying something else to pick at haha.

But ideally I'd like to find a production unit since its cheaper. But money is not really a issue. I just tries to do my projects and do them on smaller budgets just to proove it can be done.

Im in this rig maybe 6 grand total (vehicle cost included)in the last 3 years. Currently sitting with 8 inchs of lift on 315s. My DP is what it looked like after the 6" lift. I had to add a body lift becuase i was rubbing with wheels cut on hard turns or bumps. I am also on a cell and can't find pics lol

But im not hard on it. I go to and from work and to Tim Hortons for bean juice in the jesus thing.

Perhaps it may be time i spend a few bucks on the old girl. I may get reemed on the Duties if i ends up ordering it from the US. But I'll do what i gotta do to make it safe again.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Factory leaves we're about $150 each plus shipping from a few places here in the US.

I forgot to mention it previously but I am pretty sure there is no factory block on the k2500s not positive on the k1500 Suburbans.

I really like my shackle flip from ORD. It should be a lot cheaper to get through customs than full leaf springs, but it sounds like you need leaf springs anyways.

You could always get factory leaves from a Junkyard and restore them. I've got about $100 plus 8 hours of labor sanding and painting mine.

If you are interested in the lift springs I have I would be willing to help arrange the shipping to CA from Michigan.

I attached a picture of my lift springs, let me know what they are worth to you and I can look into shipping costs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Diminus

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, il deffinitly considering making you a offer.

I did however find these here in Canada.

https://customsuspension.com/collec...00-1500-1992-2006-custom-04-rear-springs-pair

Just curious, i could run no block? Or just order the specific size i need. Thats no biggy, but without a block i guess you would need the 6" lifted springs or the 4"

Wife gave me the go ahead to order custom springs. I just didn't wanna order wrong size hahaha.

Also nice rig! Very clean looking.

Last edited:

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to put a wedge between the axle and the lift springs to fix pinion angle? Like how the lift blocks are angled.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a 2-3 degree shim in there with the lift springs when I removed them. I think I ended up having to use the shim the other way around after I did the shackle flip.