Lifted 96 k1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
To start it off, I sold my beloved High school Reg cab Step side.
short story, it was a 96 GMC 5.7 with a 5 speed manual. had 130k miles, 3" rough country uca lift with 33s. headers, y pipe, true duals, pcm tuned, intake and g80.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sold it to buy an Extended cab Silverado witha 6'' and 35s. My dad had one when I was younger that I have always wanted since he sold it.

So I found a 1996 Silverado k1500 in Arkansas for sale with a BDS 6" lift and 35 inch bfgs. 149k miles, rebuilt trans with corvette servo, shift kit, bigger clutch packs, and external trans cooler. This is what it looked like the day i bought it.

Parked it next to my rcsb before I dropped the truck off at my Dads place in Idaho.
Little bit different in height.

Last edited:

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Another pic of them

First thing I did was take off all the stickers and decals on the truck. I also debadged the whole truck. Also sold the European taillights that came on it. Gave it a bath, clay barred it and removed all the swirls in the paint. The paint was really in bad shape.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Added a Light bar and come cubes.
Painted the bowtie Black.
Also went to the Junk yard and got a valence and some interior stuff that it needed.
Also had extra marker lights sitting around with new turn signals.

Last edited:

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Sold a lot of stuff off the truck to pay for other mods that I wanted to put on the truck. Sold the Euro Taillights, Sold the flush mounted tool box, sold the spare tire since it was stock size and an 8 lug wheel. Sold the airbags that were under the rear. It paid for some shorty headers, an Esky gauge cluster, more small stuff at the junkyard, new spark plugs, taillights, and marker lights.

Found out the truck was a 5.0, 305 ci motor. Apparently I was too excited about the truck and didn't look in the VIN, 70% of the trucks are the 350 so i just figured it was one, but I was wrong.

Bought some Shorty headers from Summit, got a good deal on them. Helped a lot with power around town and actually getting into overdrive now.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
When I bought it, there was a popping sound everytime I turned to the left. Thought it was the cv axle, but it wasnt. Changed the upper ball joints and nothing. Still popped everytime I turned. So i changed out the sway bar end links, just cause they needed to be done. Next I did the lower ball joints. Turned out to be a mess cause the ball joint on the driver side wouldn't go in with the press that you can rent from Autozone. Once I got the ball joint finally got pressed in, I went for a ride and the ball joint FELL OUT of the Lower control arm! Had to take the entire front suspension apart to get the lower control arm out to get a new ball joint pressed in. Took it to Christian brothers and we found out the hole was "wallowed" out, apparently this wasn't the first time the ball joint had been replaced on that side. So I went to the junk yard again and got a lower control arm with actually a good ball joint that I installed back on the truck. The popping was finally fixed!

Was tired of the Lower control arm not accepting the ball joint. As my wife put it "the struggle was real".

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Wasn't a fan of the billet grill so I painted it black.

Before and After Pic:

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Noticed that the Passenger side bed side was a different shade of red. So apparently the truck had been repainted from an accident or something. Dead give a way was the yellow bed support brace. Also when I had debadged the truck on that part the paint came off on the bed and there were some bondo under the paint. So I decided to sand it down and paint it to match the rest of the truck. Figured if it didn't work out, that the bed was still messed up paint wise anyways.
Painted the whole thing in the garage over 3 days, used Dupli color Perfect match Victory red Spray paint and Dupli color Clear Coat.

Came out pretty good I think.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Next on the list, I did LEDs on the inside, Took the esky cluster and put new orange needles on it, and did put a new turn signal switch in.

Idaho4x4

Reaction score
Put on new headlights