lets talk front and rear leaf hangers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
so yesterday besides the 3 axles i already have i found a deal on a complete coils sprung superduty axle, and snatched it complete brackets and all. anyhow im looking at the 76 k5 frame i have and before when i was thinking of a leaf sprung sas it questioned why one cant use the front front bracket and the front of the rear bracket or hanger? and now its come to me that since i need a drop shackle for the rear why cant i go pull the front rear hanger off another truck box it a bit and weld/bolt it onto my frame? wouldnt that work? is that just clearly overlooked?

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Most people dont have more than one frame full of parts. Lol I like the idea. Post up some oics of the parts so we can get a good look at what you have in mind. Other than that I think it might work :shrug:
good luck boss.

CrewCab Steve

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
well thats sorta two ideas collided together. i think ill be going coils and radius arm but still unsure. i have a guy wanting the axle so the extra cash might be nice. anyhow the rear idea anyone can look on their truck but i can take a pic of the 76"s hanger to get an idea.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Yea thatd be cool. I was goin to call you that other day and wish you happy birthday but it slipped my mind. Sorry buddy happy late B-day.

CrewCab Steve

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
my sas is with those factory gm hangers but you use the rear hanger from the rear axle flipped upside down, that front hanger from the rear can be used for a shackle flip

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
oh so for the front leaf swap you use the rear hangle from the rear axle flipped upside down? just welded it or bolted it in place or did you have some shaving to do?

as for the shackle flip are we talking the front rear axle hanger from a 88-98 or the one from my 76 frame?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
oh so for the front leaf swap you use the rear hangle from the rear axle flipped upside down? just welded it or bolted it in place or did you have some shaving to do?

as for the shackle flip are we talking the front rear axle hanger from a 88-98 or the one from my 76 frame?
the shackle flip is the front hanger for the rear spring on the 76, gm used 3 or 4 different heights for 2 or 4 wheel trucks burbs and k5s i am not sure which one a k5 has, the rear hanger flipped for a shackle hanger on a sas i bolted first then also welded, a 2wd one is shorter so works better, the ones i used were from a 82 2wd

a 2wd front hanger will give less shackle flip height since they are shorter than a 4wd, a 4wd shackle hanger flipped may be too tall, i can get a measurement from mine so you can compare to your 76 shackle hanger

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yes please and possibly a quick pic would be helpful, but overall the ditsnce between how far out the leaf spring is are the same as a gmt400? i could probably measure that quickly.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
his swap and dirtridin is what made me get the parts for mine, dirtridin used stock blazer front rear axle hangers on the rear of his front leafs, and then rear axle rear shackles on the rear of his front leafs, then both used stock front axle fronts from a squarebody 73-87 4x4.

then as mentioned stock rear axle front hangers used on the gmt400 rear of the rear axle to make a shackle flip to add lift.