Let's see your shops/garages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally looking to replace my shop and needing some advice. Current concrete slab is 19x26 and looking to go to either 24x30, 24x36 or 24x40 and high enough for an eventual lift. If I go with the shorter then I'd want a mezzanine cuz I need the extra floor space for my wood working and i' d like to have a sealed off room that I can finish without any chance of dust. Problem is that while it take less space for the smaller shop the mezzanine bumps the cost up to roughly same cost of the larger shop. I also have an irrigation canal behind the shop about 50 feet back that I have to find out how close I can be. So question is what would you guys do, shorter and taller or longer building but lower height, just high enough to accommodate the lift.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally looking to replace my shop and needing some advice. Current concrete slab is 19x26 and looking to go to either 24x30, 24x36 or 24x40 and high enough for an eventual lift. If I go with the shorter then I'd want a mezzanine cuz I need the extra floor space for my wood working and i' d like to have a sealed off room that I can finish without any chance of dust. Problem is that while it take less space for the smaller shop the mezzanine bumps the cost up to roughly same cost of the larger shop. I also have an irrigation canal behind the shop about 50 feet back that I have to find out how close I can be. So question is what would you guys do, shorter and taller or longer building but lower height, just high enough to accommodate the lift.
I don't think anyone in the history of building a shop has said "I wish I made it smaller" ... just sayin :p

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Right, our 40x120 could be 120x120. Nah nevermind, grandpa would just hoard more hay in it and still park the combine outside lol

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha ya I knew I'd get bigger is better feedback. Well have local steel building co a call and since I went in for a quote last week they were able to pull it up quick. Problem is that we have to find out from the county was I can build since current shop is closer to fence on one side and that canal behind. What price would you guys expect-pay for a 24x40x14 all steel. First quote for the 24x30 with 16 high and a mezzanine was roughly 20k which I think is decent since couple other places were higher, even wood frame with steel walls was almost 25k

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
G'day, we live just out of Canberra, Australia. I am building an Earthshelter house and we are living in the shed. So most of my work is done out in the carport.

You must be registered for see images attach

I hate crawling under vehicle to work on them. When I lay on concrete against my metal hip it gets sore, So I lift them up to a working height that suits me.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thats awesome, ive never seen anyone do that with a trailer lol. Your house looks like its gonna be huge

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
I bought my house in March 2015. The biggest downfall.....a single car, 10x23 garage :(

Yeah, it's small...

Here's what it looked like when I moved in.....bare bones...

This small piece of panel board was all they left for me...

Here's what it looks like a couple years later after I've added my personal touch. It's a cluttered mess of randomness, but I think it's cozy...

I can fit my Buick Park Avenue in the garage when I need to, but it's a bit cramped.