Let’s Play “Is it motor oil or ATF?”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dexron VI is backwards compatible with any/every GM transmission ever made.
Superior to any previous fluid recommended by GM at that time in every way that matters.
GM and other Dex VI licensees compatibility listing is conflicting/contradictory/incomplete.

GM says Dex VI is backward-compatible with SOME previous versions of Dexron, in SOME applications. It's NOT backwards-compatible with the early Hydromatic/Dynaslow that used engine oil, or transmissions that were specified for Type A, or Type A Suffix A; and early versions of Dexron. But again, info is contradictory/incomplete/subject to interpretation.

Non-GM vehicles that used Dexron may/may not be suitable for Dex VI.

Image stolen from BITOG.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Mobil web-page says
Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is a high performance, synthetic blend formulation that meets or exceeds the stringent requirements of GM's DEXRON-VI specification and provides warranty protection for 2006 and newer GM vehicles. It also provides improved performance in older GM vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified.
(My emphasis) Mobil is claiming total backwards-compatibility with all Dexron formulas. That covers back to Model Year 1967. Prior to that, it was some version of Type A, and before that...motor oil.

Another source saying Dex VI is only compatible with other Dexron applications.

I would be willing to put Dex VI into any Dexron application. I don't because I still have a heap of Dex-Merc (Dexron III-compatible) fluid; and nothing I own is new enough to require Dex VI.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the bodyshop, we just order fluids from the dealer these days. (Trans fluid, coolant) Yes, it's more expensive, but not looking to create problems or warranty denials with the wrong or incompatible fluids.

Lots of conflicting information coming from aftermarket suppliers out there.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would be willing to put Dex VI into any Dexron application. I don't because I still have a heap of Dex-Merc (Dexron III-compatible) fluid; and nothing I own is new enough to require Dex VI.

When I had my Saturn, I read that it was bad to put it in the Saturn transmissions. Later Saturns that shared platforms with other GM brands I'm sure it's fine. It's one of the reasons I won't assume on fluids. I have no idea if it'll work in my Volvo's either even though I think Dex3 is ok/recommended. They have Aisin transmissions. I no desire to put it in my 4L80e, but thats more about cost, and it already having 300K miles.

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer Valvoline Maxlife, as it is intended to meet Dex Vi specs, but with the thicker Dex III viscosity.

I know it has not been certified to work by GM. oh well.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm.. the " shifting through the gears with the engine running till it sputters". Also known as running a hydraulic pump till it is out of fluid, running dry?
When doing an oil change, would you open an oil cooler line and let run till it sputters out?
:3811797817_8d685371

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm.. the " shifting through the gears with the engine running till it sputters". Also known as running a hydraulic pump till it is out of fluid, running dry?

I might be wrong, but I think doing it that way polishes up the clutches and steels real nice, and gives the rotor vanes new material to ride on via self-clearance process.:waytogo: LOL

Last edited:

Rocket Surgeon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a suck pump and dump on a f150.

Used a vac pump to pull all fluid I could from the dipstick. Dumped in two gallons of Valvoline Maxlife, cranked, but did not start engine with the return line from the radiator trans cooler unhooked with a couple feet of clear hose into a waste bucket. Cranked until the fluid going from the trans cooler looked clean and new. Reattached the fluid line and topped the transmission off. Worked fine.

Previously did the same to a 98 Taurtoise that would only upshift near red line. 178,000 without prior service. What came out was closer to tar. Got stopped by a cop at the first stop sign because it went full launch control during the test drive compared to being utterly unresponsive. Car trans worked like new for it's remaining life. LOL

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of fluid yes, but not dry.
When doing an oil change, would you open an oil cooler line and let run till it sputters out?
No - but in the case of an engine, the bearings are loaded. Conversely, the transmission is not under any load.

I'll defend the practice (for PAS also) as a more thorough way to change as much of the oil out as is practically possible on the basis that the pump doesn't run dry - it merely lacks fluid to pump.