LEDs wired to cargo lamp switch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could help with the wiring, but that 1997 was a paper service manual. After that, it is all electronic and I have that. It covers only 1998 fully to 2004. This is a stand-a-lone CD set installed onto an older Windows XP PRO that I use off-line. Sorry, I have few paper service manuals.

Using the existing cargo lamp switch should work with the B+ out to OEM lamp, should work with the LED set up providing continuous ground to LED's and B+ to cargo lamp switch. ORG is usually hot with fuse box all of the time, while PNK is key switched. The cargo switch wire that is hot when turned on, should be the same color as the OEM cargo lamp....easy to check. It should work if you tap into it for your LED's. Many newer vehicles use module and control ground for OFF & ON. This make the voltage to the lamp hot all of the time or switched. Exterior lamps come on with RKE button for open, but they time out after, Time, Door opens, Key is in ignition, etc.
I would not think you truck (97 - K1500) has that.

Working on imports for years, they commonly used ground to control a circuit, but domestic used B+. Either works, just have to know which system you have, but I would think your truck has a simple system. Save those paper manuals.
ASE Master Tech since 1978 / Retired

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
They have a 2 volume 97 c/k service manual on CD PDF. These are the GM manuals.
I have the 96 version of this CD for my truck, and these GM service manuals are so detailed you'd think a PH.D. wrote them. These 2 volumes are worth gold!
Volume 2 on the electrical and diagnostic codes is insanely detailed in trouble shooting.

https://www.amazon.com/bishko-automotive-literature-Service-Electrical/dp/B00U2TXL00/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1538433825&sr=8-5&keywords=bishko+automotive+literature+chevy+c/k

K150097

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I finally did it. No it works 100% with the cargo light bulbs inserted.
Here is how I wired it and where I soldered the relais ground to the cargo lamp ground.
There are 2 white wires so 50/50 change to get the right one.

You must be registered for see images attach

K150097

Reaction score
And I installed some D rings in my bed.