LEDs wired to cargo lamp switch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K150097

Reaction score
what did it do when you "Cargo Switch off, bulbs out, cloesed door (more than 20 seconds) = ????V

0V

Yes I am very confused too, but it is good to know that it works when I put the bulbs out. So I think I will give it a try with a diode.

But due to your reactions, something is wrong or just different to the stock wiring of the cargo lamp on my truck.

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
0V

Yes I am very confused too, but it is good to know that it works when I put the bulbs out. So I think I will give it a try.

But due to your reactions, something is wrong or just different to the stock wiring of the cargo lamp on my truck.

well if you got 0 volts after that then i am convinced the lamp module found an alternate low level ground back through the bulbs to and through your relay with enough voltage/current to operate it. When you took the bulbs out you eliminated that path so the LED's stayed off with 0 volts at the relay input. And I would wonder if you left the LED's on for a time after the interior lights went off, would it eventually bleed off and turn off the relay.

But yeah, it could be some other wiring mod in there someone added you don't know about. if you are second owner or something.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don’t you just wire it with a relay and switch and be done with it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K150097

Reaction score
And I would wonder if you left the LED's on for a time after the interior lights went off, would it eventually bleed off and turn off the relay.
I am the thrid owner yes.

I will give it a try tomorrow, but I don't think so, because when the switch is on, the relais and blue/white wire will have power from the orange wire which is on the switch and goes to fusebox input PLUS.

Hope you got my point, I am a transfer student from Germany :patriot:

K150097

Reaction score
Why don’t you just wire it with a relay and switch and be done with it?!

You are right, relais and switch would be the easiest way, but to easy and I dont want to drill any holes in the interior to mount an additional switch. So I will take the hard way and wire it to the existing cargo switch. But I think we are almost there and figured out how it will work.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right, relais and switch would be the easiest way, but to easy and I dont want to drill any holes in the interior to mount an additional switch. So I will take the hard way and wire it to the existing cargo switch. But I think we are almost there and figured out how it will work.

Instead of wiring directly to the switch wire it directly from the cargo light itself so it will mimick what the light does!

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I am the thrid owner yes.

I will give it a try tomorrow, but I don't think so, because when the switch is on, the relais and blue/white wire will have power from the orange wire which is on the switch and goes to fusebox input PLUS.

Hope you got my point, I am a transfer student from Germany :patriot:

Got it, but I thought this whole time you were saying the LED's came on when the module timed out and the cargo switch were off. Every other condition is how you would want it to work. Good luck my friend, seems like you are now getting somewhere with it.

K150097

Reaction score
Got it, but I thought this whole time you were saying the LED's came on when the module timed out and the cargo switch were off.
They did, thats right.

Instead of wiring directly to the switch wire it directly from the cargo light itself so it will mimick what the light does!

Sorry Dallas the whole time I was so skeptical about your wiring because for some reason I was thinking that the relais provides the LED with ground too :banghead: I don't know why. All LEDs have their own ground...
So I will give it a try and wire it as you said all the time, and wire the pin86 from the relais to pinS322.

I will keep you uo to date.