LED trailer lights...do i need a converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An LED flasher is only needed if you have LED's on the truck, and your truck hyperflashes.
I've seen LED's on big truck trailers act weird (staying partially lit, not lighting up correctly, and obviously hyperflashing) on trucks with incandescent bulbs and this has been solved with a digital flasher relay.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've seen LED's on big truck trailers act weird (staying partially lit, not lighting up correctly, and obviously hyperflashing) on trucks with incandescent bulbs and this has been solved with a digital flasher relay.
I have noticed this too. U Haul is going to LEDs in all their trailers, and sometimes I have to try a couple of trailers before getting one the lights work on. They are also made mostly of fiberglass and aluminum, so part of it may be a grounding issue. IIRC LEDs are way more sensitive to this....

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
i made a trailer from scratch this winter / spring and its all LED . i pull it with my all stock 87 K30 square body truck and its all converted to led minus dash lights . i only swapped in a HD solid state flasher with adjustable speed control for flash rate and it works perfect all the time truck only or trailer on and i pull the trailer a LOT .

i think without reading all the posts here your new trailer is goofed up and has a bug hiding in it .

i will say i did 100% isolated ground on the whole trailer as i live in the rust belt and know corrosion problems all to well .

Reaction score
The converter is only needed if you have rear amber turn signals and red brake lights. GMT400's don't.
An LED flasher is only needed if you have LED's on the truck, and your truck hyperflashes.
Sounds like you have a bad ground on the truck's trailer wiring. Seeing as you stated the trailer functions properly on a different truck.
Couldn’t have said it any better myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadectist2002