LED Pod Retrofit Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered these pods, 2 Rigid Diffused Flood and 2 Spot been meaning to get it done but had a wild hair and knocked it out tonight. But I just ordered glass lens lights but my dumbass is impatient and couldn’t wait. Now gonna have to redo them when they arrive but for now they’re stock housings and bright as the sun. My phone filters light so it doesn’t quite show the brightness. But the Diffused Floodnpods as low beams lights the entire street up and doesn’t blind in any way. Walked around trying to get blinded. Nope. And the Sppts brighten up the next mile not to mention once i re-fit them to glass housings I’ll 4-hi them. As of now they’re just relay powered. One for lows and one for highs.

It’s late and i might post day pics of them. But most likely will make a write up when I switch to the glass lenses where they will dofonitely be brighter.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
and doesn’t blind in any way.

I'm glad you like the result, but that statement is physically impossible considering the design of the reflectors. Go park facing a wall and take a picture, your cut-off line is going to be non-existent. Those LED pods are terrible (and illegal) for use as headlights on public roads. Your eyes and the eyes of others are not scientific instruments.

For those interested in learning more about why this is, take a read through this thread. It's long and there's lots of rambling, but there's a bunch of good info.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome to try for yourself. Unless you are 2’3” and your windshield is 1’9” off the ground then you will not run into one single hot spot on your eyes.

Actually if you come yourself and physically manage to get a “blinding” spot illl give you the entire truck title and all

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are welcome to try for yourself. Unless you are 2’3” and your windshield is 1’9” off the ground then you will not run into one single hot spot on your eyes.

You are welcome to read the thread I linked, or post a picture of your low beam cut-off line. You're not the first to try this.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome to read the thread I linked, or post a picture of your low beam cut-off line. You're not the first to try this.

The low beam is a flood light with a diffused Pod lens that is aimed at the ground approx. 7-8’ from the truck. Yet the diffuser lens or the flood beam itself lights up the area like a room with the light switch on. The reflectors have been covered by flat black paint and spray foam that holds the Pods

The high beam spot lights will no doubt blind you off the road but as I know that I don’t use highs in populated streets.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yet the diffuser lens or the flood beam itself lights up the area like a room with the light switch on.

That's the issue. Headlights aren't supposed to do that. The reflectors are designed to put the light in a specific area, hence why I keep talking about cut-off lines. You're throwing light everywhere with those pods, no matter what you do to the factory housings they're glued into.

If you've somehow managed to create a pod retrofit with a decent cut-off, it will be the first I've ever seen. I'll believe it when I see it. That's the last I will argue this point because it always turns into a pissing match when someone gets offended by facts. Like I said, read that thread sometime. Check out the CandlePower forums too. That's where some of the info came from anyway.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Df2x4 is there anyone who makes a set of projectors that are worth it not necessarily a retrofit but plug and play housings?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Df2x4 is there anyone who makes a set of projectors that are worth it not necessarily a retrofit but plug and play housings?

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. Spyder and a couple other companies make them but they're generally pretty poor quality. Nasty cut-off lines too.

If you want the best headlight performance possible out of an off-the-shelf composite setup in one of these trucks, here's what I'd recommend.

1.) Either the Anzo housings I have in both of my trucks or the Spyders in @shovelbill's thread that I linked to earlier. Depending on if you want plastic or glass lenses.

2.) A HD headlight harness (with 4-Hi mod) that powers the headlights via relays instead of running all the power through the headlight switch. This will be a huge performance increase.

3.) Either some nice factory halogen bulbs with no blue tint on the glass (I recommend Sylvania Xtravision) or some HIR (not HID) bulbs with the tabs trimmed to fit.

If you want any more info just let me know, I did a ton of research on this subject while we were compiling the info in Bill's thread I linked earlier.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure when I swap them over to the glass lenses they may have hot spots but atm in the stock housings they do not

Last edited: