LED light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One harness for each bulb, so 2. And they do indeed need to be mounted to metal like the rad support.

Just to be clear I did not use this seller but the harness I bought looks identical to those. Actually I have an extra set and bulbs in a bag of tricks that I have on standby....

Al

You must be registered for see images attach
That's a lot of resistors involved. When I did switchbacks on the '94 I just used one for each side, so two resistors total on the whole truck. Also had a hacked flasher for the blink rate; the resistors were to just get the switchbacks and LED corner bulbs working correctly.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Richard, there very well could be a better way but like I said I wanted to be able to go back to oem bulbs if need be, like on the side of the road.

Since I didnt want to mess with this wiring at all I found this plug and play harness and it worked. What can I say right. I'm well versed in wiring but not so much in electrical theory...

Al

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
That's a lot of resistors involved. When I did switchbacks on the '94 I just used one for each side, so two resistors total on the whole truck. Also had a hacked flasher for the blink rate; the resistors were to just get the switchbacks and LED corner bulbs working correctly.

Richard

What size and wattage, and where did you hook them up?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What size and wattage, and where did you hook them up?
The only values you ever need for these applications are the 6 ohm / 50 watt, which are the super commonly available ones that are sold everywhere.

I hooked them into the turn signal side of the circuit though it took some head-scratching to figure it out at first. When I got the switchbacks (mind you YEARS ago, this was 2011 when I was adding them on my '94) my truck was still all incandescent bulbs up front. I had LED bulbs in my stock tails and had recently hacked the flasher so I could remove the resistors, so they were out of the picture for the moment.

I installed the switchbacks, and changed the corner markers to regular white LED's at the same time. I'd turn them on and the white running light function of the switchbacks would come on as expected, then immediately go out. If I put the incandescent corner marker back in, it would glow dimly, and the switchbacks worked correctly. With that in mind I figured the circuit wanted to see that extra resistance of at least one small incandescent bulb (the 194 corner marker) so I tried hooking the resistors back up, put the LED corner marker back in, and everything worked great.

Richard

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Thanks. I always wondering if even higher resistance could be used and cut down the current through it, but enough load to provide the necessary switchback tripping and the ground paths.