LED Light Bar on bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am wanting to put a light bar on my 97 and I've seen some images of people putting a light bar on the plastic bumper guards. What size would it be? I am thinking a 32" would do it, but not sure.

Here's what I am talking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Thinking about getting a curved light bar to (sort of) match the curvature of the bumper.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it comes to light bars, it's more of a 'to each his own' game. I don't care where you put it, someone is going to tell you it looks stupid there. It's your rig, put it where you like it. I have seen a couple 400's with it mounted at the back of the hood. I think it looks absolutely stupid there, besides all the hood glare you have to deal with. I cut a long hole in my bumper and mounted a 55" bar inside it. I wanted the light lower, out front, but protected from the road debris. I have been told it looks great, and that it's the dumbest place to ever put one. Don't really care, it's right where I want it, and I like the way it looks. The curved ones aren't curved enough to be a good match, but as long as it isn't too long, it will be ok. The one in the pic is probably a 32". I plan on putting 2 of those between the uprights of my bull bar. The spacing of the bumper guards is about the same as my bull bar.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
32" is what I am thinking it is as well. Still debating whether or not to get just two spot LED lights or a full bar. I would be happy with two 3 inch cube spot lights, still better than nothing. I have an aluminum bumper guard like you have on your Burb, but since I swapped to a diesel bumper with the little plastic bumper guards I can't fit it on anymore, or else I would put the lights on it, since it already has two mounts for lights.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 52 inch curved on the front bumper. I think it looks cool, and it’s really bright with no glare due to its placement. I also have a set of fog lights below the bumper and the 4-Hi headlight mod. With all the lights on it’s like daytime in front of the truck.

Btw it’s a no name light bar I got off amazon a few years ago for a little over 100 bucks. It’s no Rigid but the performance is unbeatable for what I paid.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The small fogs are low and slightly less than straight out. The 20" in grill is aimed slightly up.

The headlights have a relay to turn on the fogs. The high beams have another relay the turn on the 20" and triggers a low beam relay turning on the fogs as well. Led bulbs in the headlights

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a light bar put behind the grille. I suppose it would work better on the 94+ grille because the gaps are larger.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Well I think I just decided to get 2 cube spot lights to fit on the bumper guards instead of a 32 inch bar. I have been reading about the Auxbeam lights and people are saying that they fog up, don't have good sealing, the wiring is not enough, LED's burn out within 6-12 months, etc... I have had good luck with the Wal-Mart cube spot lights, so that's what I might get once the temps warm up in the spring. I had debated getting the three row Auxbeam 32 inch bar, or just the regular two row 32 inch Auxbeam bar, has anybody had issues with these? I plan on using them at night in the future as high beam supplement.