LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered bunch of LEDs for the interior from superbrigheds.com, noticed they have LED headlight bulbs. Anybody ever use em? How do they work?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have them in both my daily NBS and my OBS dually, they're bright but don't throw visible light as far down the road. You'll see road signs reflect back further away, but not non-reflective stuff if that makes sense.

I'd read the same, that they don't cast light as far. I have HID lows in my 1500 and love them. I did the 4hi mod and it's wonderful, but would like to upgrade the highs as well. Did you do lows and highs with the LEDs? HID is a poor choice for high beams unless it's a single bulb like in the wife's Grand Prix.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd read the same, that they don't cast light as far. I have HID lows in my 1500 and love them. I did the 4hi mod and it's wonderful, but would like to upgrade the highs as well. Did you do lows and highs with the LEDs? HID is a poor choice for high beams unless it's a single bulb like in the wife's Grand Prix.
The instant on of LEDs is awesome. I have them in both on both trucks. I need to to do the 4hi mod on my NBS, I find myself pulling the lever to manually activate them all quite a bit in the rural areas around here.
I've stayed away from putting them in my car or either bike mainly because they're all fast and I'm afraid I'll outdrive/ride their throw.
Buy some cheap ones on Amazon (pay attention to lumens and color temp) and if you don't like them pitch em.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried modding the low beams? It's the same mod as for the high beams, except it's for only the lows. You can tie both mods into one and make the wiring a bit neater as I have done on my sierra, but not necessary as like on my burb. Power the low beams directly off the battery when you dont have the high beams on. Its so simple and just like you may have noticed with the high beams on, the lows are much brighter powered off the battery than stock. @kennythewelder gave me this idea many years ago. Thanks man!

Led bulbs need an led lense and unless you have them they will never broadcast the light correctly. And i dont know if you guys care or not and if I'm wrong please prove it to me, led bulbs are not DOT approved for headlights. I saw some on the shelf locally, clearly labeled off road use only. Not that I need them at all. I run basic cheap ass oem bulbs on the modded circuits and my lights are just as bright as hids, but properly aimed and not blinding to oncoming traffic. It's also very important to me to be 100% legal.

Al

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried modding the low beams? It's the same mod as for the high beams, except it's for only the lows. You can tie both mods into one and make the wiring a bit neater as I have done on my sierra, but not necessary as like on my burb. Power the low beams directly off the battery when you dont have the high beams on. Its so simple and just like you may have noticed with the high beams on, the lows are much brighter powered off the battery than stock. @kennythewelder gave me this idea many years ago. Thanks man!

Led bulbs need an led lense and unless you have them they will never broadcast the light correctly. And i dont know if you guys care or not and if I'm wrong please prove it to me, led bulbs are not DOT approved for headlights. I saw some on the shelf locally, clearly labeled off road use only. Not that I need them at all. I run basic cheap ass oem bulbs on the modded circuits and my lights are just as bright as hids, but properly aimed and not blinding to oncoming traffic. It's also very important to me to be 100% legal.

Al

I never get flashed, so the aim and focus of my HIDs probably aren't enough to get the attention of the cops. I've had them on since 2010, so if there was gonna be an issue I think I would have had it by now.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Properly aligned headlights are so important and absolutely almost always overlooked. This style of headlight is friggen easy as hell to align as long as the alignment screws move. LOL

when I first got my 97 Burb. After redoing the oem lenses with a kit and one foggy night my left headlight went practically straight up and to the right, illuminating the tops of the trees. HAHAHA well I learned how to properly align them only to realize 1 out of 4 screws moved, I adjusted my headlights with a pocket full of washers and talk about a pita. LOL. eventually I ended up with the high and low beam mods with glass lenses that were perfected about 5 years ago.

Al

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Al
I couldn't care less about the legal aspect, every vehicle I own is modified illegally in some way shape or form, the relevant authority would have found way bigger fish to fry by the time they discovered the non DOT compliant bulbs....that being said, not blinding oncoming traffic is a concern. That's why the headlights are aimed correctly. The pattern and cutoffs are the same as incandescent bulbs, just the color and throw are different. I prefer the colder, whiter light that incandescent bulbs just can't reproduce well.