LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a heads up, the airbag switch is sealed. I'm sure there is a way to get into it but you would risk messing up the guts and that is a system I wouldn't recommend fiddling around with. I tore into my truck pretty far to get all my stuff converted to LED. A bunch of the small switches and stuff required soldering. I left the air bag switch alone just because it's a safety thing that I don't want to wonder if it's going to actually work after playing with it, and secondly, I've been hit with air bags before and they've severely injured people when they went off outside the parameters in which they should go off, I just didn't see a couple light bulb swaps being worth the risk of the system not working when it should or working when it shouldn't.

Just my .02¢. Do what you please with the info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I hadnt really thought about the airbag switch in that way. I think i will leave that one alone. I have the bulbs for the hvac on order but im thinking i may have ordered the wrong ones. With all the different terms t1.5, nano3 or 4? Im still confused with all of it. I do however like the new led lights in the cluster and floor. I put all the needles back in place but the tach seems to read about 200 rpm lower at idle. Guess ill have to redo it soon. Again thanks for the advice.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I hadnt really thought about the airbag switch in that way. I think i will leave that one alone. I have the bulbs for the hvac on order but im thinking i may have ordered the wrong ones. With all the different terms t1.5, nano3 or 4? Im still confused with all of it. I do however like the new led lights in the cluster and floor. I put all the needles back in place but the tach seems to read about 200 rpm lower at idle. Guess ill have to redo it soon. Again thanks for the advice.
It's a 74 for.the HVAC. I've seen them named countless ways though.

The 4x4 switch needs soldering, the window switches are a bit of a pain, mirror adjust switches are a pain, cargo light I forget what it needed. Rear hatch I have no clue cause I didn't have that.

The headlight switch is also another fun one. Using direct fit stuff yields dismal results. Before I sold the truck I was working on modifying the clear plastic light delivery piece in a spare switch to accommodate a few LEDs for much better results but a few projects took over my bench, half the parts went missing, and then I sold the truck so I never finished the mods.

I used to sell and install LEDs so I had a **** ton of old stock just laying around. I used a bunch of the HVAC 74 chips for most of the rest of the small switches and such. I pulled them from the bases and trimmed the leads to fit whatever application they were going in. Worked great. But the LEDs were garbage (hence me not selling them anymore since the quality tanked) and they started flickering and after replacing them a few times I ran out of ambition to tear it all apart and start testing with new brands of lights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did most of mine, I love the way it came out.

You must be registered for see images attach

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did most of mine, I love the way it came out.

Looks good

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Any recommended mods for the 94 and older HVAC to make the color match the gauges? Or the other way around? It niggles at me when I drive at night that they are different. I grew up with Chryslers so green gauges just look right to me.
I the same vein I like the gauge colors but the odo and trip odo are orange/yellow and look sickly. Any way to "greenify" them? They seem to be the same bulb for them and the gauges.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 K1500 OBS and my passenger side window/door lock assembly doesn’t have any bulbs but buttons look as if they should be illuminated like the drivers side...is this correct?

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I have a 99 K1500 OBS and my passenger side window/door lock assembly doesn’t have any bulbs but buttons look as if they should be illuminated like the drivers side...is this correct?

Correct. They have a habit of burning out though. You can replace them with LEDs if you want and they'll last the rest of the vehicle's life