LED driving lights and radio static

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I couldn’t find anything about this by searching. It may be a “duh” question. If so. Sorry.
When I turn on my led driving lights, I get major static through my radio. I’ve checked grounds. Should I run them through a relay? I didn’t install these. They were on truck when I got it. I thought maybe more quality lights wouldn’t do this. I don’t have a problem buying better “quality” lights. But don’t want to be in the same boat. Because more than likely, it’s my lack of knowledge keeping me from fixing this.
Thanks for help

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well, not on a vehicle but I have had cheap led lights interferes with fm radio. no idea why but I threw them in the damn garbage. theres a lot of tech inside led bulbs and obviously they do put out a frequency. but what I find weird is that they dont all interfere with fm radio and that's why I threw them out.

the one thing you can try and if there ever is a ground loop interference with a vehicles radio, getting rid of it is pretty damn easy. simply take a wire and ground the radio to the vehicle. make it it's own ground and a ground loop interference will be gone. too many circuits going through the same ground connection is the actual problem.

but it's hard to say if this is the problem or not but it's a possible, cheap solution.

Al

Last edited:

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, not on a vehicle but I have had cheap led lights interferes with fm radio. no idea why but I threw them in the damn garbage. theres a lot of tech inside led bulbs and obviously they do put out a frequency. but what I find weird is that they dont all interfere with fm radio and that's why I threw them out.

the one thing you can try and if there ever is a ground loop interference with a vehicles radio, getting rid of it is pretty damn easy. simply take a wire and ground the radio to the vehicle. make it it's own ground and a ground loop interference will be gone. too many circuits going through the same ground connection is the actual problem.

but it's hard to say if this is the problem or not but it's a possible, cheap solution.

Al
First of all let me say, that I don’t throw out a question and forget about it. I’m sorry it’s taken me this long to check the replies to my question. I’m at work and it never fails that when I post a question, right after I get a call to fix something some jughead broke. Then I forget to check for replies.

Anyway, thanks for reply. I actually did make sure the radio had a separate ground when I installed it. But it didn’t help. They are cheap no name lights. So like you, I think I’ll trash em and see if better or name brand lights make a difference. That’s the beauty of Amazon. If they don’t work I can return em and get different ones. I feel better now knowing the answer isn’t as easy as a filter or something simple. If that makes sense. Lol.
Thanks again for reply