Learned something new...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My old farm truck 89 Silverado that I bought off a 600lb lady in a trailer park with a few kids and a skinny crackhead boyfriend had one. Wish I saved it when I Cash for Clunkers that truck. Got $4500 off my 09 WT and paid $900 for it, put 70k on that old farm truck all over the state. Had a fresh jasper 350 when I got it, that I also wished I swapped. Had a broken sway bar mount that I never fixed never even looked at the brakes. Did basic stuff like alt, starter, batt, junkyard y-pipe and also a radiator after a big bouncing rock but it was a good truck, ugly but good!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old farm truck 89 Silverado that I bought off a 600lb lady in a trailer park with a few kids and a skinny crackhead boyfriend had one. Wish I saved it when I Cash for Clunkers that truck. Got $4500 off my 09 WT and paid $900 for it, put 70k on that old farm truck all over the state. Had a fresh jasper 350 when I got it, that I also wished I swapped. Had a broken sway bar mount that I never fixed never even looked at the brakes. Did basic stuff like alt, starter, batt, junkyard y-pipe and also a radiator after a big bouncing rock but it was a good truck, ugly but good!
The trucks are all good- just bad owners! :Good or Bad:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Jeeps got 'em & so did some Toyota trucks, too.
For 400's, there's 2 styles & 2 factory mounting locations.
The two styles have different screw mount tabs. Clocked differently on the housing according to mounting location.
The break is '88-'94 & '95-'97, although the '95 could be considered a one-year-only as it's the newer style but with the in-line fuse as per the early generation. Apparently GM doesn't list them as an option for '98. (according to Dave, 88GMCtruck. If anyone knows the minute details of these trucks, he's that guy.)
Early models were on the passenger fender. Vortec trucks, inc. '95, on the passenger side firewall.
If your truck didn't come with one, the metal is dimpled where the light gets mounted. Don't drill the holes. Punch 'em.
Drilling removes metal. Punching doesn't. More meat for the screws to glom onto.
But that's only if you want to install in the factory locations. They don't have to be.
Simple install. Constant power & ground.
IIRC, the early ones were wired into the underhood light so that they only worked with the hood open.
On the later versions, forget to turn the light off & 2 days later, dead battery. (Hmmm...how would I know that? Oops.)

The bulb housing retaining tabs get broken easily & the one's with are usually a few bucks more.
Original is a #89 bulb, but a #93 will work. 1156 base. An 18 smd LED with the 1157 base is the largest bulb that'll fit inside the clear plastic housing.
The cord is 18' long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeeaaa...not a 400, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Probably one of my favorite features of these trucks. I know most cell phones now are able to be used as a flashlight, but I used that light a ton when I was young. Either my junk was broken down in a parking lot, or I was helping someone get their vehicle going or towing/recovering.

I've always been curious about LED output for these. Might have to try one for one of those immediate satisfaction modifications.

Cigarhead

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I ordered LED's to put in BOTH underhood lights (trouble light), the stationary light fired right up, the reel light didn't. It has power but it seems to hate my LED lol. Same bulb in each, swapped them out to make sure I did not have a bad LED.
Odd.

Attachments

• 20211229_135523.jpg
    20211229_135523.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 7

JimFixes

Reaction score
I replaced both of mine with leds and actually have some custom leds coming to do a different setup.

The automatic one is going to be wired to some strips to light the whole engine bay up with less power draw than the 1156 that was there originally, and the reel is going to get a custom 3d printed adjustable reflector with a superbright led in it and a neodynium magnet wrapped in felt attached to it.

I need to find a replacement retainer switch as mine broke.

But I love this feature of the truck.

I can confirm the 95 sub has it there, I forget about it too often though so I have been brainstorming how to remedy that issue.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced both of mine with leds and actually have some custom leds coming to do a different setup.
I don't even want to try taking my reel light lens off, I'm afraid it'll come apart in pieces and shards of plastic, ha ha. My automatic light doesn't have a bulb in it anymore since I was rebuilding the top end of the engine and leaving the hood open for months.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine will go about two feet bast the rear bumper. Reg cab/long bed.

As far as the lens goes... Their unobtainium now.. but if you have one that's intact, it's not a bad idea to make a mold of it so you can make your own. Just youtube "making obsolete lens parts", or "How to Make an Auto Lens with Clear Resin and Silicone Molds". I've done this for all the wire loom white plastic parts on the frame. Works like a charm.

Last edited: