Leaf Spring Rebound Clips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I broke down my set of leaf springs on my C1500 project to have them blasted and painted. However, in my infinite wisdom, I removed the rebound clips from the lower leaf (kind of had to in order to get the pack completely apart) and I think they got mixed up in a scrap pile and they're gone.

Can someone explain what purpose they serve and if I should try to get a replacement? I see there's some clamp-style replacements out there, and a couple other options that may do the trick, but I'm wondering if I'm OK without them or what I should do here?

Example picture of clips in question:

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guy?

It's there to prevent the leafs from going sideways, like if you go in a ditch diagonally and the truck frame twists. Yes, I would reinstall them. There's a company that sells those little plastic inserts if you need to replace them. I redid a leafpack recently and ordered some from a company called Beattie Spring.

I opened the little ears on mine with a large pipe wrench, then pounded them to the original after putting the thing back together. I don't know if that the correct procedure though.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understood. My problem is that they're now gone. I'm thinking I mixed them in and threw them away in a big pile of scrap.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understood. My problem is that they're now gone. I'm thinking I mixed them in and threw them away in a big pile of scrap.
They are just bent strap plate. Maybe 1/4" thick? Make your own with a vice and a large hammer?

The clamp-on should work, as long as it fits within the little plastic tabs. The prevents the clamp from sliding down near the axle.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut mine off when I redid the springs on my c1500. But, since they are important for preventing lateral movement you should replace them.
As far as I can tell you can't buy new rebound clips in the original style, since they are riveted into the spring. Also, you should know the clamp clips don't work with the OEM style anti-squeak plastic insert. The dimensions are wrong on the clip and it's not wide enough to accommodate the "wings" of the squeak pad.
But, it is useful for telling you what gauge of metal is acceptable in a rebound clip.

Like others have said, it's not really anything special. I made mine by bending some 1/8" flat bar and bolting it through the hole in the spring with a shaved-down carriage bolt. The only part I haven't finished is cutting off the bit of bolt that sticks out the bottom. Mine might be more convoluted than is strictly necessary, but I know they're not sliding down the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_104002230.jpg
    IMG_20220720_104002230.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220720_103936001.jpg
    IMG_20220720_103936001.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 23

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I broke down my set of leaf springs on my C1500 project to have them blasted and painted. However, in my infinite wisdom, I removed the rebound clips from the lower leaf (kind of had to in order to get the pack completely apart) and I think they got mixed up in a scrap pile and they're gone.

Can someone explain what purpose they serve and if I should try to get a replacement? I see there's some clamp-style replacements out there, and a couple other options that may do the trick, but I'm wondering if I'm OK without them or what I should do here?

Example picture of clips in question:

Rockauto