Leaf spring eye bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure 90 ft-lbs would stretch them but I believe technically U-bolts should be replaced. It's more important that they be torqued properly and not gunned down with an impact. Over-torqued can bind the leaf pack and lead to broken leaves within the spring pack.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure 90 ft-lbs would stretch them but I believe technically they should be replaced. It's more important that they be torqued properly and not gunned down with an impact. Over-torqued can bind the leaf pack and lead to broken leaves within the spring pack.
Learned that lesson the hard way.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are stretched during proper installation and put under tension. Thus not reusable
A bolt stretching in use is normal, and does not make it unusable. If you stretch the bolt past its yield strength, to where it cannot spring back to its original length, then it becomes unusable. That's the whole point of torque-to-yield. The engineers figured out that there's a point where you can stretch a bolt before it breaks where it grips better, but once it's been stretched that far, it's junk if it's ever removed. The u-bolts don't get stretched that far, unless some gorilla's over-torqued them.