LCAs hitting spindles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The only thing I reused was the calipers and spindles when rebuilding the front end of the 1995 C1500 Suburban. Everything else was new AC Delco or Moog, now with 1350 miles on it. It's been to the alignment shop twice, and is in spec.

When I pull into a driveway either side, the LCA smacks the caliper.

Attachments

• 20210622_113519.jpg
    20210622_113519.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 34

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a pic of the lca hitting the caliper.?? Heres a pic of a stock c1500 tahoe. Opposite side but looks very close as far as component locations

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-190019_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-190019_Photos.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Got a pic of the lca hitting the caliper.?? Heres a pic of a stock c1500 tahoe. Opposite side but looks very close as far as componentlocationsdoes
Well, there is a picture in the original post where you can see the damage it's doing to the LCA.

At full lock, bouncing on the bumper it has clearance, only while turning and hitting something with one tire (like a driveway) do they make contact, and it can be 2mph and it still does it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm an idiot, it's hitting the *spindle*, not the caliper. It's like the spindle bump stop is riding over the tab on the LCA. Both sides equally as bad.

Is there one other then the big rubber one on the LCA? That one is OEM.

I wondered, as I wasn't seeing how it was hitting the caliper.

I'm still not seeing a big problem, Though. Are you feeling it hit or something? The tab sticking up is meant to stop the spindle from turning any more. I do see it's pointed a bit, like it wasn't cut well.... is that digging in? I have a 4x4 with lower forged arms and my spindles (actually knuckles) hit, but it's designed that way. I never feel it... maybe I would if the suspension articulated more?

Reaction score
I wondered, as I wasn't seeing how it was hitting the caliper.

I'm still not seeing a big problem, Though. Are you feeling it hit or something? The tab sticking up is meant to stop the spindle from turning any more. I do see it's pointed a bit, like it wasn't cut well.... is that digging in? I have a 4x4 with lower forged arms and my spindles (actually knuckles) hit, but it's designed that way. I never feel it... maybe I would if the suspension articulated more?
Yeah that pointed bit is it digging Into the LCA, and I can feel and hear it quite well when it happens. The first time it happened I thought I hit my retaining wall pulling into the driveway, it was that jarring.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really had for me to tell exactly what's going on in that picture, so if these questions sound stupid...

1. Are you 100% sure correct part # ball joints were used for your application?
2. Are you 100% sure they are correctly installed and torqued to spec?

Richard

Reaction score
I used new complete assembly LCAs of MOOG RK620299/RK620298 (and matching MOOG RK620160/RK620161 UCAs) which are listed for a whole bunch of 2WD GM trucks/vans. They definitely matched the original 25 year old ones.

I followed the 1995 C/K factory service manual for torque specs.

I'm going to try to strap a gopro under there and see if I can get a video of exactly what's going on.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
It's 2WD, coil spring, correct?

Wondering if she's sitting/riding a little lower than stock and therefore loosing some space in between the LCA and the spindle.

Did the coil spring get clocked correctly when it went back in? Or was there originally an isolator on top of the spring that was accidentally left out?

I'm not hip to the 2WD, but I know other GM vehicles from the same era used isolators on top of the front coil springs. Just brainstorming in hope that something helps.