Laying frame on a tall tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckindude95

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I have a 95 silverado laying frame on 20's, tire size is 255 35 20. It is nearing time to replace my tires and I want to go to a taller tire for a better ride. How tall of a tire can I go without tubbing the fire wall?

My current set-up is stock upper/lower control arms, moog ball joints, belltech 2" drop spindles, kp components cup kit, slam re 7 bags and frame is notched for tie rods.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can lay on a stock size tire or 265/35/22 without tubbing the firewall, but you can't drive down really low, roughly a 29 in tall tire.

truckindude95

Reaction score
I don't drive super low, usually tucking tire or a little higher. What all is involved to lay out on that size tire?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well in the front, a 2 inch drop spindle, a 3 inch upper cup, tie rod notch's, and of course clearancing the upper pocket for the 3 inch upper cup and in the rear an 8 inch notch.

truckindude95

Reaction score
I already have 2" spindles and tie rod notches, but not sure how tall my upper cup is. My notch is pretty tall in the back. Will I have to de-hump the lower control arms? Also, some of my ball joint boots are torn, do you know anything about installing uniballs? Do you have any pics of your front set-up?

Reaction score
My 22s rested on the fire wall and wouldnt lay out when i got rid of my 18s.. I had to tub about an inch, trim 3/8" off my cups and raise my bridge 1.25" to lay frame again.. But my 35s look thicker than most, maybe thicker tread?

truckindude95

Reaction score
My 22s rested on the fire wall and wouldnt lay out when i got rid of my 18s.. I had to tub about an inch, trim 3/8" off my cups and raise my bridge 1.25" to lay frame again.. But my 35s look thicker than most, maybe thicker tread?

Do you have a build thread that I can check out?

Reaction score
Yeah, My 98 stepside project.... but DRAGGIN95 bags a lot of trucks, mine may of been because a 35 on a 22x10 is a lil bigger than a 35 on a 22x8?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the laying on the 265/35/22 also depends a lot on backspacing and whether it's a 9,9.5, or 10 inch wide wheel, the deeper they are they less likely to lay out with out tubbing, I tub all the trucks that I build, I would switch to Moog ball joints, I have no idea about stock CA's as I have never used them on a bagged truck, I always use tubular or MMW flat arms, I know others have used stock CA's I am sure they can help you out.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
You will have to dehump lowers or pie cut. 265/35/22 should just kiss the firewall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk