Last call for Dart Vortec Heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevys are still available but still need machining for anything over .460 lift.
With LS2 valvesprings, Comp Cams 787-16 retainers, and the old style umbrella valve seals you can run up to .530" lift with no machining. My cam's .507/.515" and my heads are untouched.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Scoggin-Dickey? They have (or used to) 2 versions, small valve and big valve....

Checked this morning. They still list the stock replacement 062 castings and the small port Bowtie Vortec heads, which are listed (and pictured) as having larger valves.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well they arrived, and they are about what I expected, with a few pleasant surprises. Stock replacement style head, nothing super high performance here. Casting quality looks pretty nice, port texture is pretty similar to the two sets of vortecs I've had my hands on.
They come with a comp 981 spring, which should have 110lb seat pressure at 1.70" installed height. I will take them to the machine shop and get them to verify if they were installed properly. The heads did come with a positive viton valve seal. This is nice because the product info said umbrella seal. I was prepared to have them machined to take a positive type valve seal.
Valves are stock sizes, but have undercut stems with a swirl polish on them. Valve shrouding in the combustion chamber is absolutely awful! The intake is better than the exhaust, but not by much. There is definitely flow to be gained here, but only after I get the valve job inspected.
Stud bosses are blind, no coolant on the backside of tlthr threads. Studs were included. Water jackets are filled with metallic partials, so they definitely need a wash before bolting up. The painters tape on the deck has revealed a bunch of it everywhere there is a port.

Attachments

• PXL_20230328_063804645.jpg
    PXL_20230328_063804645.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20230328_063121170.jpg
    PXL_20230328_063121170.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 22

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a call back from the machine shop. After cleaning them up and taking them apart it's about what I expected. Valve guides had less than one thousands of clearance, so those need opening up to about two thousands. Heads actually had a 5 angle valve job that was perfect one one side, and had a bit of scoring from a rough/chipped cutter in the other side. That will get cleaned up. Valves are Manley, and the comp springs all test within spec. Installed height was actually really close to spec on both heads which surprised me. Summit still has these in stock, so if anyone was looking at them I hope I've answered some questions.