Last call for Dart Vortec Heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a set of replacement heads after bringing 2 sets to the machine shop only to find they are cracked. In my research, i discovered a footnote on the website for Brzezinski Racing (castheads.com) "As of 1/1/2023 Dart discontinued the Small Block Chevy Iron Eagle line."
The Dart Iron Eagle SS Vortec seems like the best value in iron vortec heads, with flow numbers pretty close to stock, but allowing for higher lift without machining or special parts. Thick decks, well machined. Its also widely accepted that the Summit Racing vortec heads are the dart castings, only sold as assembled for a much lower price. Summit has 13 of these heads left in stock, and its unclear if there will be anymore made. I've sent Dart a number of emails about these heads in the last few months and they haven't answered any of them. Don't take my word for it, but this *might* be the last of the dart iron vortec heads.

Promaxx still makes a 185cc vortec with 2.02/1.6 valves, but the reports on quality are pretty dicey. Many reports of poor sealing, and poor valve seats. Chevys are still available but still need machining for anything over .460 lift. EQs are still available but nobody who sells them would open a box to take a photo, I *think* they are a cheap, genaric chinese casting now. Chinese aluminums are more prelevent than ever, but thats a whole different conversation.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit Racing vortec heads are the dart castings, only sold as assembled for a much lower price
Are you sure? FWIU Summit owns Trick Flow, or at least my aluminum heads were made by them. Check them out...

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jegs has their version of vortecs on sale too, not sure who makes them though.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure? FWIU Summit owns Trick Flow, or at least my aluminum heads were made by them. Check them out...

I cannot say with absolute certainty, but the Summit and Dart heads look identical, and both have the weird eyebrows at the top of the ports. Not a huge fan of them on anything other than a stock replacement for a durability upgrade.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The port shape is pretty unique and they are identical. Even in the summit photos you can make out the dart logo and the SS.
I ordered a set for myself so I'll confirm/deny once they arrive. I'm building a mild 383, so I'll clean up the casting flash and blend the bowl.
I do like that they have thicker decks which should make them less prone to cracking.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well Sears sold the Craftsman name like 5 years ago so now it is only a name. The few tools I bought with the name are decent but also Chinesium.