Larger oil pan and pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pull my engine to do my planned upgrades I will probably do the oil cooler delete and switch to the 2wd drive oil filter adapter. I was curious if anyone has put larger oil pans (7 or 8 qt.) in their lifted trucks to help with cooling. From my reading it is debatable that the increase in oil will keep temps down overall or just make the oil take longer to get up to temperature. Also, worth discussing is whether or not a high volume pump would be useful with the larger pan. I do realize that a h.v. pump with the stock pan is a bad idea because it is easy to suck the pan dry.

Let me know if anyone is doing this and the results they noticed. Thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
why switch to the 2wd one? with the 4wd you have the ability to run a cooler which is another squart. theres a thread on here 88gmc truck made to except more fluid via cooler and filter mount, i have an extra deep pan on mine as well 7qt, HV isnt necessary, i run a HP pump though its a melling unit not sure of the part number

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why switch to the 2wd one? with the 4wd you have the ability to run a cooler which is another squart. theres a thread on here 88gmc truck made to except more fluid via cooler and filter mount, i have an extra deep pan on mine as well 7qt, HV isnt necessary, i run a HP pump though its a melling unit not sure of the part number

Larger filter and I hate the angle of the 4wd filter.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you can use a larger filter with a certain remote reservoir, look at that guys thread, you can run an even bigger than 2wd drive one with the oil cooler availability

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get there are different ways to get a larger filter. I am more interested in larger pans and different pump set ups without using a cooler, I am already set up with a cooler.