L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's going in a van isn't it? How much can you even see of it? I like the idea, but if it's buried, why take things apart just to paint when you've just gotten it together?

I'd want to clean up and repaint that air cleaner housing. It's looking a bit rough, to me.
It is going into the blue 87 G20 in the back ground in the picture. Bolting up the vans stock TH400 to it.

I do not have the intake sealed yet. I just layed it on there to work on the wiring harness. It came with each individual wire connection covered in thick plastic and loose like. I connected the harness up for routing and then loomed all that spaghetti for a cleaner more OEM look.

I still have to modify the air cleaner and I will clean it and paint it too. It has a noise baffle on the inside that I am going to remove. I am also going to remove the hot air flap and plug off the heat tube opening. If I could find a 454 van/motorhome air cleaner and inlet duct I would use it instead. The 454 ducting is full size to the scoop where the small block necks down alot. I had the 454 air cleaner and ducting on my 83 when it was still a Q-Jet and later with the TBI. The 454 came factory with the hot air flap deleted and a larger air filter. Never can get an engine too much cooler ambient air.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tomorrow evenings project has arrived. The replacement tank has far more of a baffle tray than the stock van tank. The stock baffle setup is 4" square and maybe 2" tall. This one has a turkey baking pan by comparison. The replacement tank has a nice layer of epoxy paint on it. Delphi replacement pump for a 96-98 L31 and some other V6 applications going on that sending unit.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rained most of the afternoon here but I am getting some small work done. Picked a set of these MSD 8843 wire clips up. I like that the bolt right to the head with a 1/4-20 cap screw and contain the wires very cleanly. I have the new tank ready to install as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They are, probably off one of the vortecs I parted out. Probably the 99 K1500 Suburban based on the light surface rust.

I think I'm sold on dunking little bits in diluted hydrochloric acid. I dipped a bunch of junkyard bolts I yanked from and air dam and they came out great. Did it in a Folger's can. You could get those pristine for as lightly rusted as they are.