L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, i have the same issues when i order. Not having the item pulled until you get to the store is the real issue. I always just go straight to rhe cashier first then look around. What i really dont like is if i see something else i want i have to debate if i want to start the process all over again with waiting to have a part pulled

You must be registered for see images attach
i

Blower reminds me of the one I want.

I wish Edelbrock had brought this one back as well. Been searching for a useable or rebuildable unit for years like this one as Magnuson only offered them for a couple of years. This is the one that fit our trucks very easily, eliminating the stock manifold and spider. I kick myself for not buying the one I had a line on 10 years ago for the van. The throttle body and air inlet lines up almost exactly with factory 454 Vortec air intake parts. It is the only SBC blower with a profile low enough to fit under the van firewall and dog house.

The one I had a line on was on my cousins and her husbands 98 Suburban. She had a diabetic condition that was undiagnosed and passed out behind the wheel, putting it into the concrete highway divider at 60+ mph. She walked away without serious injurys but the lifted 4x4 suburban was a total loss. He pulled the engine goodies off and let the insurance have the truck. That truck had a black box that was tuned for this blower, how I do not know, but it ran extremely well. The flash for it was on a large older superchips programmer. Wonder if they did some custom coding there for a 2-bar, wish I knew and could get a .BIN file of that old tune. At the time I was going to put it on my Vortec head 350 in my G20 van that had TPI on it. That suburban was on 35s and hauled @$$ for what it was.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Blower reminds me of the one I want.

I wish Edelbrock had brought this one back as well. Been searching for a useable or rebuildable unit for years like this one as Magnuson only offered them for a couple of years. This is the one that fit our trucks very easily, eliminating the stock manifold and spider. I kick myself for not buying the one I had a line on 10 years ago for the van. The throttle body and air inlet lines up almost exactly with factory 454 Vortec air intake parts. It is the only SBC blower with a profile low enough to fit under the van firewall and dog house.

The one I had a line on was on my cousins and her husbands 98 Suburban. She had a diabetic condition that was undiagnosed and passed out behind the wheel, putting it into the concrete highway divider at 60+ mph. She walked away without serious injurys but the lifted 4x4 suburban was a total loss. He pulled the engine goodies off and let the insurance have the truck. That truck had a black box that was tuned for this blower, how I do not know, but it ran extremely well. The flash for it was on a large older superchips programmer. Wonder if they did some custom coding there for a 2-bar, wish I knew and could get a .BIN file of that old tune. At the time I was going to put it on my Vortec head 350 in my G20 van that had TPI on it. That suburban was on 35s and hauled @$$ for what it was.

Wow.... that'd be a neat piece to have on one of my trucks (I can dream, right?). Looks like it doesn't require a raised hood either....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow.... that'd be a neat piece to have on one of my trucks (I can dream, right?). Looks like it doesn't require a raised hood either....
It sits well under the height of a stock TBI air cleaner. Barely taller than the TBI distributor. It is shorter than a Vortec 454 intake manifold as well.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it has been test fit and the engine side of the harness organized and loomed. I am going to have to find one of the short TBI truck air cleaner spacers. I know the van one will be too tall with the added manifold height. Throttle linkage contacts the air cleaner without the spacer.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a bonus I moked up the Indmar Monsoon lower intake and upper plenum with the Fitech 92. GM drive by wire throttle body clears the ac by miles. The TPS almost contacts the compressor on the Fitech 92mm. Not sure you could even get the connector locking tab between.

I have a 1/4" thick crank pulley spacer and I am not afraid to space the whole accessory drive 1/4" forward.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you guys think on this? Paint the manifold and fuel rails black so it can pose as the stock TBI 305 under the hood? The casual observer would probably never even notice that MPFI setup if the manifold was black like a stock TBI.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have also already powered up the ECU and used the setup wizard to generate the base map. I selected the cubic inches, the injector size, cam intake duration, and for 58 psi fuel pressure and it populates a corresponding base map. Then I adjusted the air/fuel targets and the timing curves. I set the idle for 14.1:1, cruise for 15:1 and WOT for 12.5:1. For the timing curve, Idle timing 16*, advance curve starting at 1,200 rpm, going up to 26* total at 3,600 rpm. Then 10* vacuum advance. Probably a little light on timing but it is 10.2:1 with iron heads and no knock sensor. I will fine tune it from there, but should work for startup and break in. I also set the target idle for 750 rpm for now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What do you guys think on this? Paint the manifold and fuel rails black so it can pose as the stock TBI 305 under the hood? The casual observer would probably never even notice that MPFI setup if the manifold was black like a stock TBI.

It's going in a van isn't it? How much can you even see of it? I like the idea, but if it's buried, why take things apart just to paint when you've just gotten it together?

I'd want to clean up and repaint that air cleaner housing. It's looking a bit rough, to me.