L31/6L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man! I wished I could upload my video....I finally got the truck shifting at acceptable levels! Took it around the block, then about a 30 minute drive and all is well. There could be additional tweaking to make it shift like a new car, but I am not super inclined on the tuning aspect and I am super happy at where it is now. The truck definitely feels quicker and it feels like it's got the confidence of pulling. I thought 6th gear would be usless at highway speeds, constantly shifting down to 5th to maintain speed or speed up (like my 2014 Silvy), but surprisingly it stays in gear.

The module's wiring harness came with an additional OB2 port for specifically the transmission. Using HPTuners, I copied tables from a stock 6L tune file from the repository over to the truck. You'll just need to change some specifics (will follow up on later). It is to some degree a bit confusing to work between the module's tuning software and through the module's OB2 port utilizing whichever tuning program you have.

I am going to tidy up some of the loose ends as my OCD is kicking in. I forgot to mention and remembered it as I scooted under the truck today, I'll need to find a cover plate for the 6L as now the bottom half of the torque converter is exposed. My truck's 4L came with the removable lower half.

Once I get done tidying things up, I will compile everything into a single go-to post.

The old 350 has alot more grunt down low in the rpm range compared to a LS. I passed many of them that were dualed out on grades in the Express van. With the small cam, tri-y headers and tune the old 350 would charge up the hill with the converter locked in overdrive while the 5.3s were downshifting and reving. All noise, no go! Old 5.7L comes on like an electric motor at lower rpm. Cruising up a ~6% grade in Kentucky back when I still had 3.42s and the 4L85E.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Blad

Reaction score
Nice! Pick up these bur bits (pictured). They will make your life easier to modify your flexplate and your trans mount, if you go that route!
Thanks. Im mostly worried about software issues from what uv described. Do you think the possibility exists ile get lucky and wont have to change anything in the programing or are the changes you made a requirement due to it running through that controller?

Blad

Reaction score
Mounted the TCM next to the wiper motor as that was fitting per wire bundle routing. Probably not the best spot as we all know water drippage is horrible there, but for now it will suffice....plus Oklahoma hardly gets any rain these days. Still need to clean it up some though. As far as the shifter bracket, I should have angled the 4L piece down some for a better angle of attack, but the goal is to get it driving on the road and working right before my OCD kicks in. Since I removed the neutral safety switch, I had to splice some wires together to get the truck to start (see plug pic, in red). Now I've got to figure out how to send the signal to the reverse lights while in reverse from the TCM as it was previously signaled by the neutral safety switch.
Regardless, the maiden voyage is set for tomorrow, so we shall see how she does. I'll put up pics of the TCM programming next.
On the neutralswitch, did you have to eliminate it to do this or was it just your choice?

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im mostly worried about software issues from what uv described. Do you think the possibility exists ile get lucky and wont have to change anything in the programing or are the changes you made a requirement due to it running through that controller?
I am not sure. The module comes with a base calibration file for the trans. Most likely, if you calibrate your tps, and your trans is good, theoretically it would act like it should. I believe my issues were a misunderstanding between the OBD2 port tuning and the module's software and the fact my trans was very used.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't layed into it yet...but I'll give her a go. I've been curious as well and just wanted to make sure I put some miles on it without any issues first.

If you haven't yet, you're gonna want to sooner than later. There may be quirks you haven't found yet to deal with via the tune. You're a stronger man than I, I would have had that patriot pedal to the freedom floor about 30 seconds after it first moved under its own power and I knew the fluid was full.