L31/6L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update....I've been fiddling with shift points and pressures to my liking. I'm no smart folk when it comes to playing with pressure numbers, so it's been back and forth between my driveway and test routes. I dang near have all upshifts feel super comfortable between normal, moderate, and WOT driving. Downshifts are perfect aside from WOT. It sometimes seems a bit confused at which gear to downshift to, like 6-4, 6-3, 5-3, and 5-2. Everything from 4th is good. Then my 2-1 normal downshift seems a bit rough...manageable, but not to my liking. I took tomorrow off from work, so I will have a bit of time to correct this. I haven't recorded a WOT pull just yet, but I haven't forgotten. I'll check back soon.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If tables similar to stock gm, I found just bumping the speed for shifts and reducing the added shift time tables works well for a 6l80e. Shift pressures raised a bit higher than stock as well but not too much. Only messed with auto corvettes for a6 tune

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If tables similar to stock gm, I found just bumping the speed for shifts and reducing the added shift time tables works well for a 6l80e. Shift pressures raised a bit higher than stock as well but not too much. Only messed with auto corvettes for a6 tune
I will try this. Thank you!

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@97Centurion when you bought the TCM2650 did you ask Zero Gravity about their tuning service? They have advertised custom tuning for $250 so I was curious if you inquired about what you get with it. I'll likely be following you with the swap next year since my 4L60e is about in need of a rebuild so it's effectively a $2k deduct off the swap cost if I go that route instead.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@97Centurion when you bought the TCM2650 did you ask Zero Gravity about their tuning service? They have advertised custom tuning for $250 so I was curious if you inquired about what you get with it. I'll likely be following you with the swap next year since my 4L60e is about in need of a rebuild so it's effectively a $2k deduct off the swap cost if I go that route instead.
I haven't inquired about their tuning service, though I'm sure it would make this a ton easier. My goal is to keeping this project as cheap as I can. So far it's just under $1500.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't inquired about their tuning service, though I'm sure it would make this a ton easier. My goal is to keeping this project as cheap as I can. So far it's just under $1500.
If this all works good for that money, that's great. I have often wondered about the feasibility of a newer 7 speed auto mated to the older engines.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you found and tried Blucats yet? So much easier than trying to guess and wing it manually, especially with the 6spd.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like an interesting swap. But...

After reading this thread about 6L80E here...

... I have to contain my enthusiasm.

Too, it's not clear to me what an otherwise stock ECU (e.g., in my 98 K1500 Suburban L31) does when there's no 4L60E attached. I'll have to read through the entire (10pages) of this thread looking for answers related to...

- How to manage the CEL / SES when the ECU's expecting a 4L60E to be connected but has gone AWL. I know CES / SEL activity can be tweaked via "tuning"; JET's "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner", which I have, provides this capability.

- The ECU will still try to make decisions about when to shift the pared / phantom 4L60E and will attempt torque management during phantom shifts; this would introduce awkward momentary sags in performance. I suppose one might disable the vestigial 4L60E management in the ECU via "tuning", e.g. re-provision the ECU to think it's connected to a manual transmission, or specifically disable torque management. But what other dependencies remain... ?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've ridden in some 6 speed vehicles, I'd still like 1 or 2 in my stable. Would LOVE to find the time to stick one in the wife's Envoy, it would really help the little 5.3.