L29 Intake gasket issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
When I first purchased this truck in 2005 with 144,000 miles on it shortly after that I replaced the intake gasket because it was leaking 13 years later it started leaking again and I replaced it October 2018.

When the engine went South in February of this year took it down to the engine shop just got it back putting it back together now, is there anything I can do differently to maybe help prevent these gaskets from going bad?

The first two pictures is the one From 13 years ago the second two is the one I just pulled off the engine before I sent it to the shop.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's my understanding they just suck. They suck even more than small block gaskets because there is no metal alternative. What about using old school gaskets?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think what happens is the bolts start backing out a bit. GM specs a thread locker to be used on the intake bolts. I had mine done a number of years ago, and the mechanic used some sort of black crap. Several weeks after I had it done, I found the intake was leaking slightly again, and the closest bolt was backing out. I don't know if GenV and Mk4 big blocks had intake bolts that went through to the water jackets, or if he was using small block info, but Gen VI Vortec 454s have no need for the threads to be "sealed" with black goop.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Victor Reinz/Mahle makes metal core gaskets for the L29s; I can't remember the PN off my head so I'll have to look through my receipt pile.
I've had my intake gaskets done twice on my truck, first time was with Felpro gaskets and second time was the VR/Mahle ones. First time was the exact same issue picture in the original post, second time was when the rubber seals that go on the front and rear of the intake failed.

It's my understanding they just suck. They suck even more than small block gaskets because there is no metal alternative. What about using old school gaskets?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Victor Reinz/Mahle makes metal core gaskets for the L29s; I can't remember the PN off my head so I'll have to look through my receipt pile.

I just checked both websites, and I didn't find anything like that for the 454. I didn't explore it, but somehow DANA still has the Victor Reinz name.... it could be a deal where only part of the business was sold. DANA/Victor-Reinz does have some metal/different intake gaskets, but I didn't come up with an L29 part number for the fancy parts. Apparently they're making intake gaskets with screens in them now.... I believe that was for a Chrysler/Dodge engine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you guys find them, please post up. I'm thinking I'll be yanking my intake to weld a fitting into my oil fill tube.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what happens is the bolts start backing out a bit. GM specs a thread locker to be used on the intake bolts. I had mine done a number of years ago, and the mechanic used some sort of black crap. Several weeks after I had it done, I found the intake was leaking slightly again, and the closest bolt was backing out. I don't know if GenV and Mk4 big blocks had intake bolts that went through to the water jackets, or if he was using small block info, but Gen VI Vortec 454s have no need for the threads to be "sealed" with black goop.

That’s what I did last time I did the intake but I used the red silicone but this time I’ll just try the thread locker see if that helps

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll bet you those ones with the blue gasket are Felpro and looked like this when they went on.

I never installed them on mine because I thought it would have failed like the ones in your second picture. I ended up going with the Victor-Rienz ones, which I think were red. They fit better, but still not as perfect as I think they should be. I also filled in the erosion that had occurred on the head and intake surfaces with marine-tex hoping that will also add some longevity. Finally before installing everything I added some silicone sealer around the ports and put loctite on the bolts. If I get 13 years out of them, that might be acceptable.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll bet you those ones with the blue gasket are Felpro and looked like this when they went on.

I never installed them on mine because I thought it would have failed like the ones in your second picture. I ended up going with the Victor-Rienz ones, which I think were red. They fit better, but still not as perfect as I think they should be. I also filled in the erosion that had occurred on the head and intake surfaces with marine-tex hoping that will also add some longevity. Finally before installing everything I added some silicone sealer around the ports and put loctite on the bolts. If I get 13 years out of them, that might be acceptable.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

just put mine on this afternoon