L29 454 Intake Manifold Gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're not opposed to take-outs, they are a viable and economical way to replace the stock injectors for well under $100. If you only install new parts, you're in the ballpark on the price. Even if you haven't noticed the typical symptoms, they stock ones are definitely junk and likely leaking.

I am under the same impression as 454cid that the valve covers are diecast aluminum. One of those fancy XRF guns could easily verify that. (Does anyone have access to one? I'd like to know what the power steering/AC bracket is made of.) I know I've seen custom brackets TIG welded to the valve covers. Personally, I've seen far better durability from paint than powder coating, but that may just be my bad luck.

I wouldn't bother replacing the oil sender unless you have cause to doubt it.

Be sure you replace that tiny piece of vacuum hose that feeds the fuel pressure regulator.

Are you doing the lower intake, too, or just the upper?

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it was some cast aluminum alloy. It's obviously been too many years since I took one off. Thanks

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I don't beleive injectors cost $500. Last I knew you could pick them up fairly cheaply on ebay or one of the fuel injection services. You don't want new AC Delco here..... you'll pay through the nose, and they may still be the problematic design of the originals....they leak and they don't clean well.

I still have my originals, but if I were pulling the intake I'd look into replacing them.

This is what FiveO Motorsports has

You must be registered for see images attach

Bout 500$ and I would be hesitant to go with any kind of off brand to replace oem. Even if they are known to suck. You have recommendations?

Professionals won't touch these injectors for cleaning. I guess they like to wash the insulation off the wire windings and they short out. I used L67 supercharged 3800 injectors on mine and flashed for the difference. I think 5.0 Motorsports has a stock replacement?

Like the above? They only had two options provided for my make and model. Or are there known alternative replacements?

10/10 replace those injectors, if they haven't been done before you'll absolutely regret having to tear everything back apart to replace them.
Also, Victor Reinz/Mahle gaskets have a metal core similar to the updated 350 intake gaskets, I'd have to dig through my receipt folder to verify the part number.
Oil pressure switch I would change as long as it's a good quality one, I think the one I had put in was a Delphi.

Went with AC Delco on the oil pressure switch. The Mahle stuff is always pretty good quality so I give it the benefit of the doubt. I understand the lower intake gaskets are a *****, but the upper manifold is not that hard to get into if I do I have to revisit the injectors. Really did not expect this to potentially turn into a $1000 service plus my own labor lol...

If you're not opposed to take-outs, they are a viable and economical way to replace the stock injectors for well under $100. If you only install new parts, you're in the ballpark on the price. Even if you haven't noticed the typical symptoms, they stock ones are definitely junk and likely leaking.

What do you mean by take outs?

I am under the same impression as 454cid that the valve covers are diecast aluminum. One of those fancy XRF guns could easily verify that. (Does anyone have access to one? I'd like to know what the power steering/AC bracket is made of.) I know I've seen custom brackets TIG welded to the valve covers. Personally, I've seen far better durability from paint than powder coating, but that may just be my bad luck.

I wouldn't bother replacing the oil sender unless you have cause to doubt it.

Be sure you replace that tiny piece of vacuum hose that feeds the fuel pressure regulator.

Are you doing the lower intake, too, or just the upper?

Yeah lower gaskets as well. Astonished you've had worse experience with powder than paint. Especially in an engine bay!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is what FiveO Motorsports has

You must be registered for see images attach

Bout 500$ and I would be hesitant to go with any kind of off brand to replace oem. Even if they are known to suck. You have recommendations?

Bosch is not an off brand. They are the largest OEM automotive supplier in the world.

Look on ebay if you need something cheaper. You can get refurbished injectors that aren't oem for the 454 that will work. This isn't like needing a gasket set that needs to be for our specific intake manifold, but more like a bolt..... if the size/ratings/type are correct then it will work. Sellers often market alternative injectors for the 454 because they know the OEM injectors are not a good design.

Last edited:

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't want to do the injectors now, they're not a big deal to replace later if it becomes necessary/desirable to do so. Since you're going to be into it as far are you are, I would absolutely replace the distributor. I would also look very carefully at the camshaft and entire valvetrain for anything amiss or any unusual wear.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Bosch is not an off brand. They are the largest OEM automotive supplier in the world.

Look on ebay if you need something cheaper. You can get refurbished injectors that aren't oem for the 454 that will work. This isn't like needing a gasket set that needs to be for our specific intake manifold, but more like a bolt..... if the size/ratings/type are correct then it will work. Sellers often market alternative injectors for the 454 because they know the OEM injectors are not a good design.

You misunderstood me. I was showing that new Bosch was about $500. Not that they were off brand. Just saying I would not care to buy an off brand set for cheaper.

These are rebuilt. How long have you had them? What kind of performance have you enjoyed out of them?

If you don't want to do the injectors now, they're not a big deal to replace later if it becomes necessary/desirable to do so. Since you're going to be into it as far are you are, I would absolutely replace the distributor. I would also look very carefully at the camshaft and entire valvetrain for anything amiss or any unusual wear.

Kinda what I thought too but everyone seems to be saying get it done. Did not think of distributor... omg

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am tackling the injectors this fall so no real world miles on them. The buyer had great communication and there were some very good reviews as well.

Main reason for injectors and FPR is I am getting some hot start issues 1 out of every 5 trips or so... and i am waiting for my topside creeper to come! I have about 4 inches lift and 35's are working in the engine bay is no fun.