L29 454 Improving Airflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They did 290/410 stock. You're damn hard pressed to not hit 500tq NA with a couple basic items, the 454 motors were especially hamstrung.
Would be nice to beat the whipple claimed numbers while still being NA. And maybe even on a stock intake massaged a bit?

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam intake headers and tune NA only you could hit 425 hp / 500 tq at the crank on the L29 with a 230 236 cam.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Slap that cam in it, valve springs, big fuel pump, add blower, free up exhaust, should make 500hp/600tq I'd think easy enough.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam intake headers and tune NA only you could hit 425 hp / 500 tq at the crank on the L29 with a 230 236 cam.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Slap that cam in it, valve springs, big fuel pump, add blower, free up exhaust, should make 500hp/600tq I'd think easy enough.
Was nice to see very comparable results with efi intake vs carb intake. I might try to just weld a larger throttle body opening on a stock intake.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do a little geometric calculations, the oval may actually flow just as much as the rectangle or more. measure the area of each.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fairly well-known that the rectangular-port BBC heads have more cross-sectional area than any of the oval- or round-port heads.

The problem with them is that they have so much cross-sectional area, that the air velocity through them is poor. Low velocity causes it's own problems.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if you're still working on this, but any updates?

FWIW I believe the 2.3 Whipple will not properly support a 496 with rectangle port heads, or really any good aftermarket heads, assuming your cam is big enough for the heads.

I vote sell the Whipple, sell the factory intake, buy your heads of choice and a good intake then turbo it if you still want boost.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry maybe I missed it, what did your build entail?
489ci tall deck forged internals internally balanced, race rite oval port heads and topped with very mildly ported stock intake with ls3 throttle body grafted on. Running and majorly tuned but still finishing details and need to finish spare 4l80e build before proceeding with boost. Turbo that is to go on is S485 V2 104 TW 1.32 A/R T6.
I keep looking for different intake options to get away from the stock piece, but not many options for a truck use.

Last edited: