L29 454 Improving Airflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep wanting to slap a set of alum brodix race rite heads, oval port 110 cc, should fit all the stock stuff.
Ordering a set of those for my build(489). 13 week lead time. They can get them down to 100cc if needed. But 110cc is a limit with a cnc chamber

Last edited:

TimEldridge74

Reaction score
This is a little confusing. You said your doing a top to bottom build? Air filter to oil pan right? Thats generally what that means right. So if thats the plan, and your intention is the most available power potential. Why are agonizing over the heads, get good aftermarket that fit your needs.
Your gonna push alot more air, what about exhaust? Still got cats, oe mufflers.
Is the the power generated between the two different intake and head combinations like Nascar huge gains ( 1 or 2 horsepower). Or gains like 350 / 5.7 in my truck versus 350 in '69 Nova SS ?
If its 10 or 20 horse are you really going to know? Good luck, have fun.
All a fair point. I'm not necessarily chasing numbers for power, I have zero idea what I'm going to get for power, no matter what route is taken. Half that reason is because no one is dumb enough (like me) to spend money looking for power out of an L29.

I just came to the conclusion that there's a limit to what you can send through oval ports, and the next option is just rectangle style, so far it seems like its not worth it with the advice I'm getting. And really, I just didn't want to nullify the purpose of the Whipple with the lower intake and heads. And again, it looks like that just isn't the case here.

And thank you, having fun is the entire purpose :)

TimEldridge74

Reaction score
Sell the whipple and buy the other parts you need, A 496 should make enough Hp anyway.
It crossed my mind, but the entire build is for the blower. And I know if I sell it, I'm going to regret it instantly and its going to be damn hard to find another.
Supercharged AND stroked, I'd expect somewhere around a hundred ft/lbs increase in torque. Maybe more. And a very broad torque curve.

A lot of that will depend on computer tuning to suit the additional 40 cubes and huge increase in manifold pressure; not to mention cam and ignition timing changes.
I need to workout some kinks, but I've got a harness that's adapted with the 0411 PCM. Hopefully that'll tale care of those problems.

TimEldridge74

Reaction score
Whipple rated the L29 at 450hp/600tq with their "tune". My truck hits HARD down near sea level.
Any more info on this? Any idea how much of a difference the 2.1 offers? Would also like to see a pic of your engine bay, these blowers are far and few

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any more info on this? Any idea how much of a difference the 2.1 offers? Would also like to see a pic of your engine bay, these blowers are far and few

As far as I know, they only offered the 1.6 and 2.3. Yours is the 2.3 and the numbers I spit out were for that. I have a 1.6 on my 1500, they're a good bit smaller.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am hoping for 500/500 before boost added, but likely will have to be a different intake.