L29 0411 Swap - Struggling with crank relearn and P0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anybody here done a 411 swap and not had issues? I am not being a smart ass, am curious.
It's mainly the fact it's a "cobbled" tune for the 454 trucks, most everyone I've talked to who has a L31/350 has zero problems.
That being said, there's other quirks you don't expect such as needing to ground certain pins and whatnot, most of my problems have been outside issues like blown fuses or previously failed parts that didn't cause a problem until the cleaner processing of the 0411 was introduced.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to double check my ground pins, I wonder if I put them in the wrong spot…

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's mainly the fact it's a "cobbled" tune for the 454 trucks, most everyone I've talked to who has a L31/350 has zero problems.
That being said, there's other quirks you don't expect such as needing to ground certain pins and whatnot, most of my problems have been outside issues like blown fuses or previously failed parts that didn't cause a problem until the cleaner processing of the 0411 was introduced.
aren't you still fighting a misfire issue on your 0411 swapped 454?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
aren't you still fighting a misfire issue on your 0411 swapped 454?
Yup. After about 30-45 minutes of driving (usually hanging at 55-65 mph) the truck falls flat on it's face; truck has a new cap/rotor, fresh plugs + wires, a new coil and ICM, it's a sustained misfire under throttle; on my last "long" trip the truck started backfiring like crazy once I let off the throttle but would misfire under throttle still.

@Mangonesailor can attest to the crazy values that pop up, my TQ converter speed goes crazy and so does my timing. It's got a stored code for Transmission performance circuit 1 or something like that, so I don't know if it's something with the 0411 or another component failure that's highlighted by the higher processing power of the LS computer.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. After about 30-45 minutes of driving (usually hanging at 55-65 mph) the truck falls flat on it's face; truck has a new cap/rotor, fresh plugs + wires, a new coil and ICM, it's a sustained misfire under throttle; on my last "long" trip the truck started backfiring like crazy once I let off the throttle but would misfire under throttle still.

@Mangonesailor can attest to the crazy values that pop up, my TQ converter speed goes crazy and so does my timing. It's got a stored code for Transmission performance circuit 1 or something like that, so I don't know if it's something with the 0411 or another component failure that's highlighted by the higher processing power of the LS computer.
Dang, doesn't sound like my issue at all. Not that it sounds like a fun one to figure out.

I wonder if the transmission range code I get has anything to do with it.

I'm hoping this doesn't end in me going individual coils to solve the problem. I mean, I'm going to end up there. But... if anyone thinks of something else I should look at let me know, until I get time to just fiddle with this thing.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, doesn't sound like my issue at all. Not that it sounds like a fun one to figure out.

I wonder if the transmission range code I get has anything to do with it.

I'm hoping this doesn't end in me going individual coils to solve the problem. I mean, I'm going to end up there. But... if anyone thinks of something else I should look at let me know, until I get time to just fiddle with this thing.
Yes, if the truck has any present DTCs or codes it won't go through a relearn. I had the same range codes, went in at unchecked that as a shown code.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe that's my problem...
Go into the table for programmed DTCs and unselect the range sensor box, try again maybe? I'm fairly certain there's a discussion in either the 454 thread or the thread for my truck that addresses the problem directly?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go into the table for programmed DTCs and unselect the range sensor box, try again maybe? I'm fairly certain there's a discussion in either the 454 thread or the thread for my truck that addresses the problem directly?

Yeah, there are a few. The reason you are getting the range code is because depending on year, you either need to run wires to the 0411 from the PRNDL switch or you need to directly ground the correct wires to get it to see it in park or neutral. If you don't want to do either of those, you need to change the settings in the tune so that it isn't looking for the PRNDL switch signals.

Maybe that's my problem...

Where are you at in Oregon? I have the right tools to pull a tune out and make the changes necessary using freeware.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a few. The reason you are getting the range code is because depending on year, you either need to run wires to the 0411 from the PRNDL switch or you need to directly ground the correct wires to get it to see it in park or neutral. If you don't want to do either of those, you need to change the settings in the tune so that it isn't looking for the PRNDL switch signals.

Where are you at in Oregon? I have the right tools to pull a tune out and make the changes necessary using freeware.
Awesome yeah I'm in Newberg, not too far from you.

I'm going to give another crack at this disabling the range selector code - I already tuned out PRNDL and have a wire I can use to ground the two pins set up....

Let me see how this next attempt goes and maybe I'll hit you up. I have full house HP Tuners, what freeware are you using?