L21 Vortec 454 worth getting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Local junkyard has a 2000 Vortec 454 L21. All forged internals, coils on cylinders, no distributor, not sure on wiring or ECM. Is this worth getting? I'd like to swap the 350 out for this in my 99 crew cab, runs great but alot of truck for not alot of motor. I think I can get the motor for $800. Has 170k on it I think.

Also if there is no ECM/wiring, which prolly couldn't use anyways, whats the difference between the L21 n L29 wiring?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Local junkyard has a 2000 Vortec 454 L21. All forged internals, coils on cylinders, no distributor, not sure on wiring or ECM. Is this worth getting? I'd like to swap the 350 out for this in my 99 crew cab, runs great but alot of truck for not alot of motor. I think I can get the motor for $800. Has 170k on it I think.

Also if there is no ECM/wiring, which prolly couldn't use anyways, whats the difference between the L21 n L29 wiring?

I don't know this for sure, but I don't think the internals are all forged. I think they're basically an L29 with the CNP ignition and electric throttle body. For $800, yes.... where are you going to find another Gen 6 that cheap?

If you're not aware the L29 (I'd assume L21 is the same) EGR hose is NLA and not available from the aftermarket...they are routinely listed on ebay used for hundreds of dollars.

I have no idea on wiring differences, or what PCM GM ran them with.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd yes, if you are getting the complete wiring and ECU with it. Wouldn't you need the ECU? I thought those ECU were kinda like the 0411, but like the previous generation?

Weren't those engines detuned slightly from the factory? I think because they came with the heavier trucks to help with longevity? Can probably retune that though.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somewhere I read that they were forged internals, no clue if thats true or not. Id have to look at the pics again to see if the wiring is there or call em n see. I don't care bout the EGR hose, wanna get rid of it anyways....