Kodiak/topkick exterior handle rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMT_TANK

Reaction score
New here, after reading the rules (yes I read the rules) :) I assume this is the correct section for this post
Started my door handle swap and after searching the net for the lock rods I’m at the last place I can think of other than the salvage yards. They realllly want to sell me a whole door for 500 bucks a pop! GMT-400 has always been there for me before I signed up (props to 88GMCTRUCK)
If anyone has some please pm me

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the wanted forum would have been a better place.

Unfortunately, there are several of us looking for these rods. And most of us have run into your exact same problem with places wanting to sell the entire door. Best bet is to keep hunting, or wait for one of us to start fanning up rods. I posted a bunch of detailed pics in one of the forums on here.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to get @gstubbz to have the set he just purchased replicated by a machinist before he installs them. I think he'd make his money back easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

GMT_TANK

Reaction score
Probably the wanted forum would have been a better place.

Unfortunately, there are several of us looking for these rods. And most of us have run into your exact same problem with places wanting to sell the entire door. Best bet is to keep hunting, or wait for one of us to start fanning up rods. I posted a bunch of detailed pics in one of the forums on here.
Link? I’m waiting on my Cornwell guy to bring me my tig welder. I was thinking fabricate some too but can’t find detailed pics. I could make some for sell also as time allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

We can just steal them from topkicks!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Just kidding. When I get the handles I'll disassemble them and see how it would be possible to make these things. What might be a pain is the plastic bits the rods sit in on the handle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

GMT_TANK

Reaction score
Those are just the rod holders, the only important part is getting the rod diameter right. I’ll mic out a rod on my truck and start fabbing and fitting some. Then once I get it right I can make sort of a mold for further production. Making these will be easy!

GMT_TANK

Reaction score
I figure stainless would be cool but is a pain to work with. I guess ill get some steel rod stock from McMaster Carr and start there. Then paint for protection

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The plastic clips are generic used in many applications and come in several sizes and left and right. Most auto body guys have an assortment and dealers should have them too.
On my 98 I found the lock cylinders were upside down in the HD handles from my standard handles. I cut the arm off the lock and flipped it the other way and welded it back on and they work fine. You could probably just switch rt and left and get the same result. I did mine a week apart so it wasn't an option.

Last edited: