Key fob remote locks not working when truck running locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
Yeah it’s strange what your truck is doing. But I know with mine, even though the fob was brand new last summer, it can be pretty finicky. And it’s an ACDelco one too. It works when it wants to, and usually takes a few presses unless I get lucky and it works on the first try.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah it’s strange what your truck is doing. But I know with mine, even though the fob was brand new last summer, it can be pretty finicky. And it’s an ACDelco one too. It works when it wants to, and usually takes a few presses unless I get lucky and it works on the first try.

Yes, sometimes it take a couple of presses with mine, too especially if I've just locked it and need to unlock it because I forgot to grab something. I think the rods inside are getting gummed up too, as sometimes I have to manually lock the door.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried opening up the fob and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Have you tried opening up the fob and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser?

I've haven't taken it apart recently. I've never seen much improvement out of it from cleaning. I'm not sure if I've used an eraser on the contacts, but I've used alcohol or contact cleaner, or something.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to use just the keyless fob to lock it if I wanted to leave it running unattended. It always worked well, both locking and unlocking. Then one time it wouldn't unlock it until about the 60th button press.
I knew it wasn't too smart to be locking it with the engine running without a surefire way to get back in, but the keyless entry system had always and continues to work flawlessly, at least with the engine off now. I haven't attempted with it running it since.
I dunno what's up with it. Maybe there's interference with the module or something when the ignition is on.

Last edited: