Key fob remote locks not working when truck running locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've carried two keys yesterday and today, so I can leave the truck running when going inside a store. I've noticed that when I've done that, the truck doesn't respond to the key fob to unlock the doors, and I have to manually use the key. Is this normal? Is it a security "feature"?

I thought, at first, the key fob battery died, but it works fine if the truck isn't running.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No one, huh? I think it's annoying that I can't have the truck running and can't unlock the door with the key fob.

I'm still doing this since the truck isn't restarting reliably... ordering a starter and coil tomorrow.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a security feature of the factory keyless entry. I've noticed some brands/models work as you would want them to, while others may not strictly as a liability concern.

Richard

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on the alarm.
Some let you and some don’t
I think it has something to do with the signal needed to lock the doors while it’s off is positive and while it’s running is negative

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh well, I guess I can deal with it.

The key turns kind of hard. I've sprayed silicone in the lock before, but not recently. Is it possible to effectively lubricate the lock from the outside, or is it more of an issue that has to be addressed inside the door?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you've squirted lube inside the lock cylinder and it didn't help, then the issue is probably the linkage rod that goes from the inside lock knob to the latch. It has a white grease (probably lithium-style) where it slides in a plastic guide that is clipped into the inner door panel. I've dealt with this on several trucks where the lock got so stiff I thought it was going to break the key off in the door. Just remove the door panel, carefully pop those rods out of their guides (lock has one, inside handle has one) and clean the old grease off, apply some fresh stuff.

Richard

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
I tried this with my truck and my remote still works with the engine running. Factory keyless entry (AU0 RPO code).