K3500 SRW to DRW leaf springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know what is the difference between SRW and DRW leaf springs in these trucks? I have a '00 K3500 CCLB and has 6 leafs on the pack with the bottom-most leaf being really thick.

Did the DRW have an extra leaf or overload spring? Not trying to increase numbers, just would like for the rear to sag a bit less when adding "a ton" of weight in the bed. I don't want to mess with air bags/compressors. I've looked at the Timkens and they might do the trick, but if I can swap factory DRW leafs from the junkyard, I'd rather do that for simplicity and reliability.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure there'll be an extra leaf in the DRW pack, of course that's easy to check when you're looking at them at the boneyard. As long as you get them from the same generation of truck they will swap right in. (Plus the obvious - pickup springs fit pickups, Suburban springs fit Suburbans, short SUV-Tahoe/Blazer/etc. fit short SUV's the eye-to-eye lengths are all different.)

Always use new U-bolts. Yours are likely rusted inside the saddle plates, but even if they look good, get new ones.

Timkens...did you mean Timbrens? The 'air spring' - dunno much about them other than I haven't met a wrecker builder yet that believes in them, and that's a role you would think they were made for.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome!

Timkens, LOL. That's the bearing company! Yes, meant Timbrens. Ok, thanks for the reminder about new U bolts; it is easy to forget they are TTY. Time to head to the boneyard!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could just add a short leave to the pack if can't find a complete set. Also the truck is supposed to squat with weight in it. That's the manufactures designed em, so with a load it is level.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I have.

While probably not as cheap as a pair from the boneyard, it looks like Dayton might make one that’s stiffer than stock? Just based on the listings on RockAuto I’m guessing stock is around 2235lbs and these are 3000lbs, but still a 6 leaf spring. I can’t say what empty ride height would be like. It does have the same free arch than the 2235lbs one so with it being stiffer maybe it would be a little higher? If it’s only the overload spring that is stiffer maybe it would be the same? Food for thought.

You must be registered for see images attach