K2500HD CCSB LML

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the dead thread. My life is very “roulette-ie”. I may be slow rollin for a few days and then out of no-where be chin deep in business for 2 weeks straight. And often times, having to balance either/or with truck repairs and maintenance. Haha

Anyway in the morning the parts store is bringing me a Transfer Case Support Insulator. I have been hearing loud roaring along with heavy spurts of vibration. Wheel bearings checked out so took a gander underneath and I’ll be. In all the trucks I’ve worked on. Which is many. As well as all the trucks a local mechanic has seen, never have I seen a setup like this truck has. I checked the carrier bearing and it definitely wasn’t causing the issues. Then as I scanned the DS I wasn’t sure I was seeing right but there was a second carrier bearing literally mounting the transfer case like it was a dog in heat. I was too confused because i have never seen a twin carrier setup. It was right up on the tail shaft as if it was the seal, a bearing, and the trans mount all in one. This is also the trouble maker. The bushing is coming out of the insulator that’s also coming apart. What made it even crazier is there is no trans mount! The only support for the transmission/t-case is this what is the spittin image of a carrier bearing, bolted to angle iron, that mounts to the torsion bar crossmember. The output shaft going through it it all the support the drivetrain has. Motor mounts and then way further back the driveshaft is the other mount.

It took me, that mechanic, and parts guy 8:30-10:30 to figure out what I need to even order. It’s smaller than the center support Carrier so that isn’t the replacement and there isn’t a transmission mount I could find on rock auto or google anywhere that was the same. And appearently no one else in the entire world that may have the same setup has posted questions on the internet because there is nothing.

I looked through a gmt400 repair guide and found a breakdown that labeled it as the T-Case Support Insulator so that will be delivered I’m the morn and hopefully once I get it swapped it stops the shaking and noise. Also having some fresh iridium plugs coming to because the L31 is missing from something. I know the plugs never been replaced so gonna try that first because this miss isn’t throwing a code, but it is throwing the fuel mileage down my throat. When I drive the 2 miles (exactly) to my buddies place, it sucks almosy 3/8 of a tank!!!! I filler up twice everyday, occasionally three times if I am running and gunning all day.

You must be registered for see images attach

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel stupid now because I found the problem and it isn’t even that mount. Lmao... kinda. I lifted truck up to pull the drive shaft and i just saw one front tire in corner of eye and it looked like a chiseled stone. Like chunks of rubber had been eaten off, and I know exactly where it had to have happened, this road I go down to get to this spot I like, the entire mile long road is topped with nothing but baseball sized rocks. I just knew it was the bumpiest road ever.. didn’t once think about big rocks love to snack on tire meat...

So I rotated them to the back and wow is the noise and vibration and steering wheel feeling completely gone.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel stupid now because I found the problem and it isn’t even that mount. Lmao... kinda. I lifted truck up to pull the drive shaft and i just saw one front tire in corner of eye and it looked like a chiseled stone. Like chunks of rubber had been eaten off, and I know exactly where it had to have happened, this road I go down to get to this spot I like, the entire mile long road is topped with nothing but baseball sized rocks. I just knew it was the bumpiest road ever.. didn’t once think about big rocks love to snack on tire meat...

So I rotated them to the back and wow is the noise and vibration and steering wheel feeling completely gone.
These things happen. I once thought I had a massive oil leak, smoke every time I drove. Turns out it was a leaky power steering line spraying onto the hood, hitting the valve cover and header. I did valve cover gaskets, pcv, compression checks, couldn't figure it out until my ps reservoir ran dry. :doh2:

Last edited:

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this morning I have to replace the harmonic Balancer after I hit a massive dip on these unmaintained roads here, and bottomed the front end out. It spun on the rubber and now off balance.

Anyway what I would mostly like input on is why since I’ve owned the truck am I getting 6-7 mpg. It’s robbing me. I ought to at least be getting 10-12 at my lowest being 4x4.

Here’s one of my guesses. The truck was built by Dixie Custom Trucks. And seeing as it has complete factory 454 exhaust, adapted to the swapped in L31, it’s possible the motors had wrenches on it. I’m not throwing any codes, it doesn’t miss, only idling for more than 10 minutes the exhaust smells extremely rich, plugs are all gapped perfect and running iridium ac delcos.
But wow can this truck get ignorant on the road. I pull a 15klb gooseneck and can barely feel it back there. And daily driving will jump from 30 to 110 in a few seconds. Very little exaggeration there, very rarely will I try to pass someone and the trans doesn’t downshift so I feel it struggle to build speed. Can chirp all 4 wheels off a 4wd launch.
All that being said, could it be possible they might have put the 454 injectors in this small block and perhaps had the black box tuned?
I can’t think of anything else that would drop my fuel mileage so low while having so much hair on its balls.

Hell it may be stroked already, any ways I can tell any clues from just a visual exam?

2000 K2500 CCSB L31 4l80-E 3.73s
Week I bought it I flushed and changed all fluids to full synthetic and replaced trans filter and air filter while at it.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not possible to run 454 injectors because they're actual injectors, not the poppet-style ones or spider style that come in the 350s.
The truck running rich, is your MAF cleaned? I know I had my truck raise hell with MAF issues, it ran nasty rich all the time until the issue was fixed and the MAF got cleaned out.

And by 454 exhaust do you mean all the piping? I think 3/4 ton gas trucks all got the same set-up exhaust wise, so

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the MAF trigger a trouble code or a CEL?

Btw I replaced the Balancer this morning and she’s back to herself mostly. That hit must have adjusted the brake calipers or jawed up my rotors something fierce. Idle and accel. are as before but giving the brakes any pressure and the whole front end starts jumping around like it’s feet are getting shot at.

Didn’t take the time to investigate today but I will most likely tomorrow.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the MAF trigger a trouble code or a CEL?

Btw I replaced the Balancer this morning and she’s back to herself mostly. That hit must have adjusted the brake calipers or jawed up my rotors something fierce. Idle and accel. are as before but giving the brakes any pressure and the whole front end starts jumping around like it’s feet are getting shot at.

Didn’t take the time to investigate today but I will most likely tomorrow.

Not really, if it's just dirty I don't believe it'll cause a CEL,