K2500 work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
List of things to be done for safety (I’m sure there will be more once it gets that far but I’m repairing what I know of for now and hoping for some slack on non critical stuff found)
exhaust (manifolds are cracked and it’s leaking out every joint), rear brake lines (getting new hardware all around), tie rods and a functional horn which I am working on now. This truck has some wiring messes having been owned by a crackhead and sitting for 2 years to become a mouse shelter. It’s also leaking oil out the timing chain cover but I intend to solve that by swapping the engine out of my rotted old trucks engine and simultaneously solving manifold problem along with it. Due to the undocumented front end collision it’s been in I’m needing to replace the drivers side fender so the washer fluid tub/pump/wiring that I “borrowed” from white lightning won’t seat properly and I can’t get the second battery tray to fall in place. Found this colour matching fender at the local junkyard but will need some work. Thankfully there’s a welder here and I’ve already sourced a bottle of argon and just need a regulator to start practicing and obtaining that skill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 6

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
List of things to be done for safety (I’m sure there will be more once it gets that far but I’m repairing what I know of for now and hoping for some slack on non critical stuff found)
exhaust (manifolds are cracked and it’s leaking out every joint), rear brake lines (getting new hardware all around) and a functional horn which I am working on now. This truck has some wiring messes having been owned by a crackhead and sitting for 2 years to become a mouse shelter. It’s also leaking oil out the timing chain cover but I intend to solve that by swapping the engine out of my rotted old trucks engine and simultaneously solving manifold problem along with it. Due to the undocumented front end collision it’s been in I’m needing to replace the drivers side fender so the washer fluid tub/pump/wiring that I “borrowed” from white lightning won’t seat properly and I can’t get the second battery tray to fall in place. Found this colour matching fender at the local junkyard but will need some work. Thankfully there’s a welder here and I’ve already sourced a bottle of argon and just need a regulator to start practicing and obtaining that skill

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Well it was a bit of nightmare with delivery to where it was supposed to go but I got a chance to really go through it with some light, a hammer and a decent amount of time and I’m happy to say it’s not even as bad as I thought! Outer rocker on drivers side and bed are pretty much toast but I knew that already. Cab floors are fine as only the heat shield rotted, core support is questionable but I know where I can get one for cheap so I’ll just replace it. Only one that is upsetting is the front fuel tank crossmember… gonna have to start hitting up local salvage yards cause they’re ridiculously hard to find and expensive to get new ones online… pics will be taken my phone just died is all
The front gas tank crossmember on my truck is badly rotted. Previous owner used it for landscaping. Mulch fell in between the bed and cab, settling in the crossmember (the hollow part of the crossmember faces upward, and collects debris, hastening rot). I found a surprisingly solid one in a local junkyard (I say surprising, because I'm in the rust belt). Hit it with a wire wheel/needle scaler, painted it with POR-15. Now just waiting for warmer weather so I can pull the bed to replace it.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
exhaust (manifolds are cracked and it’s leaking out every joint), rear brake lines (getting new hardware all around), tie rods and a functional horn which I am working on now. This truck has some wiring messes having been owned by a crackhead and sitting for 2 years to become a mouse shelter. It’s also leaking oil out the timing chain cover but I intend to solve that by swapping the engine out of my rotted old trucks engine and simultaneously solving manifold problem along with it. Due to the undocumented front end collision it’s been in I’m needing to replace the drivers side fender so the washer fluid tub/pump/wiring that I “borrowed” from white lightning won’t seat properly and I can’t get the second battery tray to fall in place. Found this colour matching fender at the local junkyard but will need some work. Thankfully there’s a welder here and I’ve already sourced a bottle of argon and just need a regulator to start practicing and obtaining that skill
About those exhaust manifolds: Mine had a cracked cast iron manifold when I bought it. Rather than get used OEM manifolds, or aftermarket cast iron ones, I opted for shorty stainless steel headers off eBay, was about $100 a pair in late 2020. Yes, made in China, but I was happy with the quality. No leaks. Only downside is they did not line up with factory Y pipe, as advertised, so I ended up having a custom exhaust system made (which was okay in my situation, as the exhaust had been cobbled up anyway). Also, I had to modify the power steering pump bracket (easy), and bend the oil dipstick (which is kinda screwed up and hard to pull the dipstick in/out). Overall though, I'm glad I went with the headers.