k2500 to k3500 leaf springs? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This was larger rock (about 2" round,) so I think the unit density is lower than say flex base or sand with a lot of fines. I'd say it looked like it sagged as much as the pallet of concrete, give or take. Comparison measurement was made by squinting me eye though. :banana-mario:

I did load a full yard of wet sand on my 1500 once when that's all I had. I was inside the cab and didn't see how much the rear sagged, until I got home. LOL. The 4.3 didn't seem to mind, but my braking power was reduced a significant about. That's when I realized I needed more truck!

Here's the thread I was talking about. Some RA alternatives were listed as well:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/k3500-srw-to-drw-leaf-springs.49155/#post-1096254

I don't know if the 3500HDs (GVWR = 15k) will swap over, I think those may be wider? I've seen those and they are massive compared to the regular pickups!

The 3500HD pack is insane, and also different. The ultimate bolt in leaf pack would be out of a chassis cab with 3 upper overloads. I'm going to do a hybrid using the 2 short ones with my single as the mains are different between the 2 upper packs.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3500HD pack is insane, and also different. The ultimate bolt in leaf pack would be out of a chassis cab with 3 upper overloads. I'm going to do a hybrid using the 2 short ones with my single as the mains are different between the 2 upper packs.

That's the 3500 (non 3500HD) cab and dually chassis setup? GVWR of like 12,000lbs? I think I've only seen one of those trucks, and can't remember what the leaf springs looked like.

What in the world are you carrying? Are you getting an even larger camper? Are you also going to box your frame? Maybe add some stiffner plates inside the C channel where the leaf springs mount? A pair per mount location will probably be better. I think I saw a thread here where the C channel bent at the jounce (?) stop? Did I dream that?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's the 3500 (non 3500HD) cab and dually chassis setup? GVWR of like 12,000lbs? I think I've only seen one of those trucks, and can't remember what the leaf springs looked like.

What in the world are you carrying? Are you getting an even larger camper? Are you also going to box your frame? Maybe add some stiffner plates inside the C channel where the leaf springs mount? A pair per mount location will probably be better. I think I saw a thread here where the C channel bent at the jounce (?) stop? Did I dream that?

Yes, the 12k cab and chassis. My camper weighs close to, if not 5000# and has a terrible center of gravity. I've done camper and trailer with empty bags and no wind and it was fine. I think it'd be rough in the wind. I want to be less bag dependent as I run them at 90-100psi to keep everything nice and level. It also helps distribute the load on the frame more evenly. I add some pressure to the rubber frame moint dealies and take some off where the bags are.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ill keep you saine and say no dream haha. Bent frame, that was my truck, but we're talking a LD 2500 which uses the little half ton frame, much small dimensional frame. Dually would be a lot stronger of course. But hell, a 5000# camper is massive...