K2500 sputtered for about 5 seconds and cleared up, acts like it's low on gas when I turn corners and sputters and feels like it's loses power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back again on the maintenance side of the thread. So yesterday I finished giving my truck a wash and had to go to the store, I backed her up and put her in drive and went to take off and she started sputtering and felt like she lost power for about 5 seconds. She cleared up and seemed back to normal again, heading back home from the store and went to turn the corner she started sputtering and lost some power again almost like it's very low on gas( has a half a tank by the way). What could be the cause in the sputtering? To me I feel It could be the fuel pump or an injector(s) is losing pressure, but thats my guess and not 100 percent sure. Have y'all ever experienced this before with your Chevs? Thanks guys
Mike

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? That may be your problem, because grunge can float in the body of the filter and clog things up. They're cheap insurance....
Also how old is the gas in the tank and has the pump ever been changed?

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Well Ive only had the truck for about 8 months and I've always have fresh gas in the tank and I just ordered a Wix fuel filter off rock Auto to see if that does the trick. But the fuel pump I have no idea about the fuel pump at all. If it is a fuel pump who would you recommend for a pump? I was kinda leaning towards a Delphi but the Delphis on rock Auto are those ones that are CAV for California.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well Ive only had the truck for about 8 months and I've always have fresh gas in the tank and I just ordered a Wix fuel filter off rock Auto to see if that does the trick. But the fuel pump I have no idea about the fuel pump at all. If it is a fuel pump who would you recommend for a pump? I was kinda leaning towards a Delphi but the Delphis on rock Auto are those ones that are CAV for California.
I had to replace it in my Burb back in September. I bought mine from O'Reilly's; I bought a Precision brand because it was the only one that has a lifetime warranty. On the SUVs you have to drop the tank so I wanted the best one! I have a friend who lets me use his commercial account so I got it for about a third of list price.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had somewhat similar issues, turns out it was the little rubber hose connecting the fuel pump in the tank. It's not rated for the ethenol in todays fuel. It was like swiss cheese. I was replacing the pump anyway, and it had a line rated for ethenol. If you have it open, may as well replace the pump while in there. I did a Bosch from Rock Auto. It was the most expensive at the time, cuz I didn't want to have to drop the tanks again for a long time.

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Drunkcanuk, she's going to the shop Tuesday to get looked at and I guess we'll go from there, but she runs pretty good for the most part, in a way feels like she's lost a touch of power, yeah if that's the case I'd probably want to go with something good like you said I don't want to have to pull the tank out again for a long time either. Highly appreciate that again.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting how a fuel or ignition problem just happens to appear after washing the vehicle. Coincidence..? Could be fuel or ignition?

Chevyguy2000

Reaction score
My truck is a 2000 Chevy K2500 with the 5.7L Vortec, motor didn't get wet at all, and I personally don't have a scan tool, and haven't tested the fuel pressure, (how do you test fuel pressure too?) Never done that before. And Gotoguy, I'm thinking it's fuel related basically does it when it turns corners and takes off from a red light or a stop sign, almost like it's low on fuel where it chugs and clears up. But it doesn't do it violently

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had somewhat similar issues, turns out it was the little rubber hose connecting the fuel pump in the tank. It's not rated for the ethenol in todays fuel. It was like swiss cheese. I was replacing the pump anyway, and it had a line rated for ethenol. If you have it open, may as well replace the pump while in there. I did a Bosch from Rock Auto. It was the most expensive at the time, cuz I didn't want to have to drop the tanks again for a long time.
That hose is definitely a suspect on TBI setups, and also the very first year/year and a half or so of the Vortecs. Mid-97 on the pickup trucks (all years Vortec on the SUV's afaik) the plastic trash can style pump/sender assembly uses a corrugated plastic hose to attach the pump to the sender, no more rubber hose.

Richard