K2500 Odd Handling Feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Curious to know why the Lares 205 clocked the steering wheel? I was considering that joint to get away from my home-grown hardware. Don't want to deal with uncentered steering.

I think there is a bit of slop between the bolts and the hardware, so it's easy to tighten down with the wheel off center. Also the torque specified really distorted the new rubber piece. Next time, I think I'd use less torque, but apply Loctite. Otherwise it looked like a pretty nice part.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. The rag joint and spring bushings made for a huge steering improvement. Drives almost good. I'm still pulling a lot of weight that makes the rear of the truck feel mushy. I have 2 year old bilstiens (sp?). Thinking about SRW 1 ton rear springs. Looks like 2.5" 32/32 7 or 8 leaf would help. My Vengeance 31V loads up to about 10k, and tongue weight about 1000 lbs. It's heavy for a Suburban. Any ideas? Toyed with turning It into a dually, but probably won't. No fenders any more. Used to be from Arrowcraft. Only later models, and two door avail now...that I see. Oughta buy a diesel one ton truck. But...need manna from Heaven for that these days!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looked at the Firestone air bags.. just not sold on the durability. I see springs that appear to match in 3000 lb and 3400 lb. It's a buckboard now. It isn't a daily driver, although it's driven regularly. Mostly towing something. I think springs and shocks will be where I go. They are easy to change If I 'eff it up and overdo the rate. They ain't cheap, but neither are the airbags and associated bits. Springs are forever...at least no maintenance. Add-on airbags suck on motor home applications. Mostly bad reviews. I have no direct knowledge of airbags. Have had air shocks that invariably crapped out when needed.
Travelling is about over for travel trailer. Plan to wrap up the season and sort this spring thing out later. Oughta buy a diesel 1 ton. Can't pay for it!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should add that anyone with air bag vs towing experience please jump in here. Sometimes my thoughts are a little dated. K2500 8600 lb Sub. Towing a toy hauler about 10k give, and about 1000lb tongue weight. Thinking SRW 3500 springs, but open to ideas. Rear suspension is a bit soft.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me that if just about every tractor trailer on the road rides on Firestone air springs, they should do just fine as a helper. Replacements are about $70. I don’t know what the service life is for a bag before the rubber dry rots.

When I ever get a 5er, I’ll be adding the Ride Rite kit to maintain the ride height in the rear.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me that if just about every tractor trailer on the road rides on Firestone air springs, they should do just fine as a helper. Replacements are about $70. I don’t know what the service life is for a bag before the rubber dry rots.

When I ever get a 5er, I’ll be adding the Ride Rite kit to maintain the ride height in the rear.
Oh yes. Very familiar with those. Owned and maintained an MCI based coach. As you say, when working correctly, they worked well. That said, they are sophisticated, fast adjusting (once aired up), and controlled by a set of levelling valves and a dependable air supply. And they occasionally caused major inconvenience. A cat 8 is easy to replace an airbag or lines. A bus isn't. All this thinking outside the box could work out...I have half dozen levelling valves laying around here. Might be too big to fit under a 'burb? But would be interesting. Could just run a regulator on a tee. That would maintain the set height. Need an on-board compressor or some sort. Bagged cars have them.
Thanks

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party as for discussing rear springs, but I thought I'd mention (if it isn't too late) that the Suburban's have shorter leaf springs than the trucks by a couple of inches.

I do happen to have a couple of add a leaves that I removed from my Suburban if you are interested.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Much appreciated but my 'burb is now in Ohio. I bought a Ram 3500. It does the trick...at substantial cost. My burb was a nice piece of equipment.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who became the lucky recipient of the Burb? I missed the auction!?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk