K2500 Odd Handling Feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've read the 95 plus vehicles have another joint in them that can cause binding if used with a Jeep XJ steering shaft. The Dorman part came out to $185 plus shipping on RockAuto. Not my recommendation, just trying to verify the fitment of parts.

I would imagine both versions (airbag 95+ trucks and solid shaft pre 95s) would both need some kind of slip joint in the steering shaft so it does not harpoon the driver. This change shouldn't effect the rag joint connection? The steering boxes fit but there is a chance that for no good reason the rag joint itself is somehow different.

I usually assume car companies are too cheap to make special parts for each model variation. This has worked okay for major components but has caused me some heart ache for some aesthetics and trim or door parts.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think the Lares 205 would be what you want.... it's what I bought for my truck, and it's listed for the GMC. It's probably a listing error to exclude your year of Chevy.

When I installed mine, mine steering wheel is now off. I assume it's from slop in the bolt holes.

https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/205/GMC/K2500 Suburban/1999/400/8Cyl 7.4L V

I bought mine through Rockauto.
How does the double D plate attach?
As you say, Vortec Suburbans are not included. Common problem. If the joint fits a diesel, it'll fit a '99 Suburban...probably. If it fit your GMC, it'll fit my Chevy.
I need a quick fix for next week. I'm in rule out mode. Something suddenly changed yet nothings looking broken or loose.
Thanks for the posts!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see the shape of the "dd" shaft (intermediate shaft) and was curious how it attached to the new joint. I have a "donor" burb and I'll pull the rag joint from it and see how it works.
Long story on the steering. The truck drove like crap when I bought it. Ball joints tight...all new tie rod ends, idle, damper. New tires. Still drove like crap. Bought and installed a "Red Head" rebuilt sector. That made it worse yet. Removed the sector from my 150k donor truck and installed. Much better. My truck has about 160k miles. It isn't worn out...just old. Steering has been acceptable for 4 years. Recently started feeling like the rear end sorta hung out when correcting. Also, steering became twitchy. I tow a heavy trailer and it is better with the trailer and trunnions all connected.
Trying to get it tightened up or at least diagnosed before next mid-week.
Replacing rear bushings this weekend. Wanted to replace the rag joint while I'm at it. The Lares 205 joint isn't avail here. 10 days via ORielly. After looking at some vids, I see how the rag joint functions. I'm going to drill out the donor joint and see what can be supplied locally. The donor joint might be useabl . The donor truck was well maintained...as is mine. I have some play in the steering and hope this joint will resolve.
"Double D" refers to the shape of the intermediate shaft.
Thanks for the input!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Rockauto will get you the Lares 205 much faster than 10 days.... it will actually ship from Lares. If you're going to swap in a used part, why not the whole shaft, rather than trying to remove factory rivets?

Sector? Do you mean steering gear box? The sector shaft is inside of that.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rockauto will get you the Lares 205 much faster than 10 days.... it will actually ship from Lares. If you're going to swap in a used part, why not the whole shaft, rather than trying to remove factory rivets?

Sector? Do you mean steering gear box? The sector shaft is inside of that.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes on the "sector" thing. I'm old as dirt and use terms that are not always accurate.
I have the shaft half out. I'm going to remove the rag joint/shaft assembly and take it to NAPA and see what they have. I was not going to drill out either joint just to see what was in there. Thought if I could find just the flex (rag?) Imight replace that. Or whatever I can get. Rather have a new joint. See what I can locate in a few.
This truck wasn't built to work on! Hydroboost and clutch master are in the way.
Thanks

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. Long story short, the rag made a huge difference in driveability.
And the removed disc looked perfect. Go figure? That said, I wrestled with the thing for most of a day. New repair kit from NAPA had minimal hardware. Had to create fasteners. Still, this was a good move. Headed out to replace rear bushings. About too hot for this sort of exercise.
BTW, NAPA has two repair kits, the smaller dia (2 5/8) fits late Suburbans. The hardware does not. The steering shaft is designed for rivets and doesn't offer sufficient shoulder for common fasteners. Used lots if red loctite.

You must be registered for see images attach

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious to know why the Lares 205 clocked the steering wheel? I was considering that joint to get away from my home-grown hardware. Don't want to deal with uncentered steering.