k2500 burb camping rig ls swapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, holy cow man! You talk about swapping engines and tearing them apart like you're changing a light bulb. I wish I had those skills! My '99 C2500 Burb only has 116k but some odd bogging issues that have been hard to chase down. Got any free time? ;)

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, holy cow man! You talk about swapping engines and tearing them apart like you're changing a light bulb. I wish I had those skills! My '99 C2500 Burb only has 116k but some odd bogging issues that have been hard to chase down. Got any free time? ;)
its not as scary as it is perceived, its one of those things you just gotta take your time and be clean about it. my very first one came apart in 4 days, but it wasn't anything I did. I did a top end rebuild on it, cleaned the engine out because it was full of coolant and put a high volume oil pump in. it tossed a rod after 4 days no warning. it got in my head but at the end of the day I never touched the rods. just something you gotta do. no matter how many you do the first start up will age you every time. ive worked with world class techs that will wait for us to all go to lunch to start one lol its helps I ran the gm crate engine warrenty repair account for a year with jegs. you don't have to hear them start haha!

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some updates for today! got my rings and melling ls6 valve springs today, head gaskets will be here tomorrow and the cam on Thursday!!! engine will be complete by the weekend if I can get time. got two pistons in today, went ahead and opened my top gap to a loose .025, biggest gauge I have, so maybe .028ish. set my second gap the same way. I really don't want to but a ring in this thing. not that I think 15psi or less will do that but with the big compression bump temps concern me. the n/a cam should help bleed off some pressure and keep temps down, over lap is waisting boost but I just want it to make decent power and sound good. hoping to start the truck before February! lets see if I can make that happen.

I do need to get some moly lube for my rod bolts, arp told me they cant give me a torque number using engine oil...... so I need some of that in my life to make sure I don't spin a bearing again. maybe that's what happened last time. I assumed oil would be fine and torqued them to 40lbft and let it rip. trying not to have that happen again!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Molly does make for a very consistent tq number. I've heard that oil will squirt out sometimes and make your 40 with Molly become 28 with oil. That's what my engine builder told me long ago during a 650 hp Toyota V6 build.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
todays updates, ive been slowed down by closing on our first house yesterday and spending all day cleaning. I have everything including the Molly lube!! heres some pics of the goods!

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small update, got another piston in on my lunch break today and the cam in. also used my lube and torqued down the rod bolts to the 3 pistons that are in. even checked them 3 times lol not happening again!! also after I liberally applied the lube to the threads and bolt head bottom I ran it in and out of the rods threads a couple times with my dewalt to make sure the lube was in the threads evenly. gonna really try and crack down on getting her together this week.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright guys and gals, updates finally, we bought a house and did some remodeling, moved and I switched jobs... been busy and also go a lot done, didn't take as many pictures along the way as I wanted too but I got excited and started knocking **** out. short block got fully assembled and I checked piston to deck on 1&3, both were 0. found that odd but they all looked level with deck and seeing this thing is a mutt it wouldn't surprise me. also I have a magnetic base dial indicator I used to take the measurements, I set it to zero on the deck then rotated it to measure piston height, it was consistent so I think the measurements were on point but things could change etc. that makes my compression a little lower than I thought but its pry for the best, instead of 10.94:1 I come in at about 10.7:1. I got the melling ls6 springs in and they looked nice and beefy next to the junk stock 4.8/5.3 springs. long block is now together and all torqued to spec with arp moly lube :) tomorrow night I will be working on the wire harness and getting it cleaned up and then dropping the engine in Friday night :) plan on buttoning it up over the weekend and maiden voyage on Monday. heres a couple pics!