k2500 burb camping rig ls swapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorgeous job man.. such a clean burb. How local was the LS guy to you? I might want to keep him in mind for a later swap..

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
at this point the truck runs and drives, open header. the exhaust I had on there I hacked off and saved my mufflers. the damn cheap rear main seal started leaking after 5 mins of running. so I drove it to work open header and pulled the trans back. put a new felpro rear main in, problem solved. did some light driving around where I live open header and kept the caps to cap them off when I got where I was going. truck runs better than the 350 ever did! I do at this point have a intermittent long crank to start with flames.

I take the truck to the exhaust shop to get a new set of header back catless true duals with my dynomax ultra flow welded mufflers. all 2.5in. truck now sounds great, wish I had the extra coin for 3in but hey. get 1 mile from the house, 200 miles on the engine at this point and had a oil change after ring seat in at 40 miles. first wide open throttle pull first to the 3rd gear shift. damn this thing don't run bad. get to the house put it in park.... knock knock... only in park and when warm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nh4qYjDyry1VoPxx6

video is at the address.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
drove the truck to work to pull the pan and inspect the bottom end. measured brake away torque on all the rod bolts, they were torqued to 40lbft per arp. they all broke away in the mid to high 40s except #1&#2. they broke away in the low 20s. #2 lived and #1 was spun.

You must be registered for see images attach

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stretched out the bearings, clipped them back in, torqued to 40lbft and drove the ***** back home. used it to run some chores at home 10 miles or less. finally pulled the engine back out and bagged it up to take it to work and tear down.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when I pulled the engine out, 400 miles on it, I found the plugs to be covered in soot along with the exhaust ports. running a little rich are we? now I finally under stand my long crank and flames lol

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
at this point I took my crank to the machine shop, wish I had a picture. lets just say it was junk, I put a offset grind we will call it in the crank lol at this point I had a ls1 crank and rods laying around. had the ls1 crank mains turned .010 and the rods .040. 4 of the ls1 rods were out of round, so I dropped off another set of rods, out of a lq4 tis time. they checked out. had the 4.8 pistons put on the lq4 rods and the pins fit. the ls1 crank over hauled and balanced for the new rod and piston combo and finally have my goodies. so I now have a flat top 5.3 made from three different engines. I'm running a speed master .040 compressed head gasket to bump comp and tighten my quench height up. if my pistons are .007 out of bore per the ls average then my quench height will be .033 and my comp with my ported 862s 10.94:1. I'm adding a brain tooley stage 3 truck cam this time around as well. I am putting the engine together this week and next and will be updating with more pictures and info. its been a hard year in a half with this truck and I hope to get to enjoy it soon!

also to note not sure what happened with the low tq numbers for the rod caps. but ill be triple checking everything this go around. thankfully all of the engines ive built the only two that have had issues belong to me. I havnt been good at picture taking with this process but will be better now. I have a lot of wiring clean up to do and other not engine repair stuff to complete. ill document the whole process and update here. heres the truck as is right now.

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is officially up to date, more to come in the days to fallow. the plan for the truck is to clean it up like new again. 6in rough country lift and 35s. torqstorm supercharger in the future and pull a camper and my 84 z28 with it. other than that eating a mustang or two along the way and some diesel trucks wouldn't bother me either. I plan on driving this thing before February. I will be changing a lot cosmetically as well with the truck along the way.