Just wanna tow a 2000lb. Trailer up a hill..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually being a 700r4 it's controlled by a cable attached to the throttle linkage. Gotta say it's hard to beat a q-jet for fuel economy. People hate them because they do not understand them, they are not like other carbs so going that route you'd want someone who knows q-jets to help you. But honestly your story sounds like a plugged cat or fuel filter to me, what you can do for real cheap is make or buy a fuel regulator and set it to 13psi (sometimes factory regulators are as low as 10psi, this is to ensure its at 13) get good cap and rotor (preferably one with brass terminals) new plugs and set base timing between 10-14* (to set base timing unplug the esc wire under the glovebox set it then re-connect). Do the "ultimate tbi" mods and either install a injector pod spacer or you can double stack gaskets. As silly as it sounds the salad bowl does work, they've proven that on engine masters. If you can I'd delete the egr valve and if you have the intake off weld the cross overs shut. If you do all that and still want more I'd be looking at a cam and tune, and maybe try using smaller injectors and a higher pressure ie. 4.3 (45lb/hr @ 13psi) will be ~61lb/hr @ 17.7psi and ~65lb/hr @18.8psi (what this does is provides better atomization which should give you a bit better torque and fuel economy but depending on how strong your fuel pump is it might need to be upgraded). to be on the safe side I would at this point look into a shift kit, just the cheap b&m one will work great. And if you're still needing more I'd say it would be time for a top end. If you only want bottom end torque and do not care for hp or anything above 4400rpm you can really cheaply pickup a set of 305 heads, my dad did that to his 89 as he used his truck to haul a tandem dump trailer and deliver firewood, the trailer held 8cord and I dont remember it ever having trouble on hills. When he did it he only swapped heads (he did not tune it) which if that's all you're looking for might be the cheapest thing you can do on top of making sure the engine is running well.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to sound overly simple and cheap but...did you just try replacing the fuel filter? I think it’s less than $5.00 at the part stores. People don’t replace them and they get partially clogged and won’t flow enough fuel during high demand like towing uphill.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done Accel tune up, New plugs new wires new New rotor new air filter. I have not done the fuel filter I will do that. Sounds like I got quite a few things to try. I greatly appreciate the information thank you very much. I’m very glad I joined!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
set base timing between 10-14* (to set base timing unplug the esc wire under the glovebox set it then re-connect)... ...I'd delete the egr valve
Grossly over-advanced timing plus no EGR is going to make for some interesting knock-sensor readings.

Do the "ultimate tbi" mods and either install a injector pod spacer or you can double stack gaskets.
That gets a lot of attention, but I have yet to see proof that it makes any difference. Airflow on these engines isn't really the problem folks make it out to be; largely because they're RPM-limited by the ultra-mild camshaft and ****** intake ports in the cylinder head.

If you can and if you have the intake off weld the cross overs shut.
Might be possible in Texas. You'd have a tough time with welded-shut exhaust crossovers here in the Frozen Wastelands. And the heat from welding will probably require the gasket surfaces to be planed, adding to the cost.

I would at this point look into a shift kit, just the cheap b&m one will work great.
I quit with B&M shift kits decades ago. Hard shifts do nothing but blow the tires off if you have any real power, but they sure make life miserable for the trans guts, U-joints, and the rest of the driveline if the tires don't lose traction. A TH700 has all the internal failures it needs, no reason to add shock loads to the sun-shell problems.

OTOH, a shift kit from Transgo might make a positive difference without overly firming the shifts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on the fuel filter. I wouldn't go any farther than 4* BTDC on advance without a scanner. I advanced 4 on my 88 but ran premium fuel as I did not have a scanner.

jrsroadhauze

Reaction score
Buy a wrecked escalade that has the 6.0 H.O. LQ9 motor and tranny. 345 HP stock. Just saw one go for $1200 in SoCal

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wanting to drive 75 pulling a trailer with likely no brakes pulled by a truck that is well known to have inadequate brakes in stock form.
I don't mind topping the hills a little slower and upgrading brakes so I have something going down the other side.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wanting to drive 75 pulling a trailer with likely no brakes pulled by a truck that is well known to have inadequate brakes in stock form.
I don't mind topping the hills a little slower and upgrading brakes so I have something going down the other side.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

And... Most trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph.... :)

Everybody is always in such a hurry haha. I save that hurry stuff for when I am actually racing!