Just wanna tow a 2000lb. Trailer up a hill..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm seriously wondering and it's kind of something I always really wanted to do is just go back to old school. If I were to switch this motor back to a carburetor and just get rid of all the damn sensors completely then I would have no more need for the computer? My only concern is if I do that what about my accessories blinkers windshield wipers headlights etc. relays that turn the air conditioner on and off alternator, things like that. I don't know If eliminating the computer will cause problems with these things or not

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheap as possible?? The truth of the matter is I bought this truck thinking I wasn’t going to have to do anything to up the performance. I definitely wasn’t plan on changing the motor. However it was a big surprise the first time I drove to the deer lease and could barely pull a trailer up the hill. I really not trying to make this thing fast just enough torque to pull A two seater side-by-side on a single axle trailer.
Truth is, it already should be. If you can do the work and welding yourself, remove the cats, retune to get more power and remove the ensuing check engine light when you have a few hundred bucks to spare. If it were me I'd put a more aggressive cam shaft in it before you put it in because it's gonna be a pain to do after. If all you're ever going to do is pull a 1 ton trailer, you should be just fine with the engine running at stock specs, so just a thorough tune up as previously recommended should be all you need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm seriously wondering and it's kind of something I always really wanted to do is just go back to old school. If I were to switch this motor back to a carburetor and just get rid of all the damn sensors completely then I would have no more need for the computer? My only concern is if I do that what about my accessories blinkers windshield wipers headlights etc. relays that turn the air conditioner on and off alternator, things like that. I don't know If eliminating the computer will cause problems with these things or not
That won't be cheap, and as you alluded to, you'll uncover problems. With the same money you could put a cam and a new set of heads in and completely avoid the headaches.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point it’s kind of a rock and meet hard Place situation. I’m already reserved for the fact I’m going to have to change the motor. With that being said I am totally trying to do the craigslist thing. It has been my experience from shopping around I can find a halfway decent low mileage rebuild out of somebody’s old truck for a reasonable price fairly easy. I’m wondering if I were to find a motor that is already old-school. Something already carbureted without the sensors just a good plain old fashion 350. That way it should be more of a matter of just illuminating wires. But I don’t know if it’s just that simple where you just cut out the things you don’t need anymore or if it’s going to affect other things in the process.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an opportunity at a 400 small block but the same problem as holding me back is my lack of knowledge because it is old school there is no sensors it is carbureted. But I’m not sure how to make it work. As far as conversion goes. i’m pretty handy, I can weld, I can blacksmith, I own a locksmith company. I can fix a lot of basic things on cars but when it comes to this kind of stuff I’m in over my head.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I go with the factory set up The plan will be at a minimum a spacer for the throttlebody some kind of open air cleaner long tube headers no cats and probably dumps somewhere behind the rear axles. There is an Edelbrock power performance package for the top end of this motor. You cannot buy it as a kit anymore but I found the part numbers to assemble the kit. It consists of new heads a new intake manifold new lifters new camshaft. And they will send you a chip tuned for all of these things if you buy them all from Edelbrock. The problem with this is the fact I can find zero information on horsepower gains. I’m not opposed to going this route as I will have the motor sitting on a stand in my garage and I can take my time doing this. But I don’t wanna spend all this money to find out it’s going to net me a ridiculously small number in horsepower. Not trying to make this thing stupid fast but it would not hurt my feelings to hit 300 hp and close to 400 foot pounds of torque. That may be asking for a lot I don’t know. I’m good at fixing **** I’m no engine builder.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody has any information on the Edelbrock power performance package for the 350 TBI I would love to hear the information about that. Even if it’s just individual information about horsepower gains for just a heads or just the cam or just the intake or whatever you can provide. Finding information online about horsepower gains for this package is like pulling life teeth out of a dinosaur. I apologize if I am long-winded I just figure it’s best to throw all the information out there so y’all can process it and maybe help me figure out my problem .

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can go with Summit Racing TBI heads (made by Trick Flow), Edelbrock 3704 Intake manifold, "Ultimate Mods" throttle body, a small cam, shorty headers, better flowing "Y" pipe, 3" cat, muffler and a tune, which will make 350HP all day long. Then you'll burn up your 700r4! PLEASE DON'T GO BACK TO THE 70'S AND A CARB!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/overview/make/chevrolet
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=3704
https://www.ebay.com/itm/46mm-PORTE...837306?hash=item3d963196ba:g:mpwAAOSw2xRYWVJj
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120701lk
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9014/overview/
https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-...986&sprefix=thunderbolt+3+cat,aps,1026&sr=8-1

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll pay more for the Edelbrock package than shopping and building your own combo. The biggest bang for your buck is keeping the ECM, data logging and tuning.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love it but pretend your talking to an idiot. I know absolutely less than zero about tuning or computers or wiring or electronics at all. I’m not opposed to the idea I’m looking for the simplest solution possible. But to start with I don’t even know what data logging is I understand what tuning means but I have no idea who to talk to or how to go about doing it.