Junkyard LS Swap, The Cheapest Solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been racking my brains on a way to make more power in my truck on a budget. It's more of a fun "what can I do with the least amount of money possible" route. LS swaps are super popular right now and I'm loving the possibilities of it. I have my eye on a running 4.8 engine at my local junkyard (minus accessories of course) The 4.8 seems to be a capable, rev happy little motor with lots of future potential. I'm looking for the outright cheapest way to get this 4.8 running and driving in my truck as it sits. I have a 350 SBC with a 4L60 (the glorified 700r4) in my 1991 Chevrolet C1500, so I'm trying to keep the transmission if possible. Seems to be in good shape.

Any advice you guys can give me on your methods of keeping the swap cheap? The only thing I don't mind spending money on is the swap mounts, everything else I want to go the cheapest possible route. Manifolds, wiring, etc. Any help is appreciated!

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4l60 in a 91? Was that a thing or was it swapped in? Seems like they used the 700r4 til 92 . I could be wrong.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I'm about 90 percent sure they switched over to the 4L60 (non electric) transmission in 89 or 90, and used it for a couple of years before going 4L60E in 92, however I could also be wrong on that. AFAIK, my truck has the 4L60/700R4 in it right now.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about 90 percent sure they switched over to the 4L60 (non electric) transmission in 89 or 90, and used it for a couple of years before going 4L60E in 92, however I could also be wrong on that. AFAIK, my truck has the 4L60/700R4 in it right now.
Huh, I've never heard of that.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I have a 89 and its called a 700R4 according to the old transmission guy who rebuilt it... I think in 90 it switched to the 4L60 and in 92 switched to the 4L60 E...

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4.8 manifolds will fit your truck. Buy adjustable swap mount for engine, your frame mounts will work. Stock rad works, stock lower rad hose works, use the 4.8 upper hose. Your power steering hoses will thread right into the 4.8 pump.
Stock trans will work, just keep the old ecm running so it will shift

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Good to know, this swap might be a lot less expensive than I originally thought

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you need the flexplate again?
If i remember, we just drilled out a hole a little in the 5.3 flexplate to bolt up a older torque converter too.
The wiring is easy just a little time consuming.

Accessories add up pretty fast, sometimes its better to find a complete (intake to oil pan, with accessories, wiring and PCM)

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I was looking into the flexplate more as a peace of mind type of option instead of modifying the factory flexplate. However, after buying the $25 adapter and doing the mod to one of the holes, I think I should be safe.

I talked to the junkyard about what kind of deal they could cut me on the engine, accessories, wiring and PCM. Waiting on a response from them. However, I'm not below getting the engine and accessories and running a Holley 300-129K kit (dual plane intake, MSD Ignition Box) and a Holley 750cfm carburetor so I can avoid troublesome wiring issues (wiring diagrams get confusing quickly to me, and I don't have the tools/knowledge on proper soldering and pinning to pigtails) and tuning problems. Should be cheaper than buying a pre-modified wiring harness and having a tune performed on the PCM, plus makes future tuning a lot easier.